Nationals fans are not happy about a 1PM start time for tomorrow’s game

Oct 9, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT

MLB-Atlanta Braves @ Washington Nationals

The Nationals will host their first playoff game ever tomorrow, and the first home baseball playoff game for any Washington team since 1933. The game time? 1PM.  This is not making some folks in our nation’s capital happy. From the Post:

“It’s the worst-case scenario,” said John Quinn, who had already purchased tickets for Wednesday’s game and immediately e-mailed his supervisor about taking a half-day. “Some of us actually have to work. It’s really upsetting. This is the first time we’ve had playoff baseball since 1933, and to get the 1 o’clock start time and the MLB Network just seems really unfair.”

I made some comment about this on Twitter this morning and got a handful of similar sentiments. One person literally said “it feels like we’re being forced to choose between keeping our jobs or going to the game,” and expressed survivor’s guilt over the fact that she could go but her boyfriend couldn’t. Another said — I presume with a straight face — that “This is the first home playoff game in D.C. since 1933. Historical significance should play a role in time slots.”

The way I see it: if you’re complaining that your job is keeping you from seeing your baseball team in a playoff game, you’re complaining about having two things that a lot of people would kill to have.

Folks, it’s not great that Major League Baseball will do whatever it can to put the Yankees in a prime time playoff game while relegating other teams to day games. And sure, it would have been nice if MLB scheduled the Nats game a day earlier than it did. But (a) they’ve been doing it for a decade and a half now; (b) everyone knows that a lot of division series games are gonna be day games; and (c) even if the game time was announced a day earlier, how much difference would it make to your employer anyway? Is asking for the day off one day in advance that much worse than two days?  Either way, you’re asking off on short notice. He or she is either amenable to that or not.

But even if that wasn’t the case, you’re not entitled to have playoff games conveniently scheduled around your job, whether your team’s accomplishments are historic or otherwise. Suck it up, Nats Nation.

1. Marty - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Sounds more like an honest complaint rather than a declaration of entitlement.

• deadeyedesign23 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Yeah it’s not like they just bought tickets to a 1:00 game. They got the tickets and were told only days before that the start time would be 1 in the afternoon.

• e5again - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM

It’s not like they bought tickets to a 7pm game either.

2. jea1978 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM

The bitching about this from all my fellow Nats “fans” is pathetic. They really didn’t see this coming? I let work know weeks ago that this was a possibility. I said months ago that October could be messy. And all in all, it’s a freaking day off. Just call in sick. Do what it takes. I know some people just won’t be able to do it, but mostly the bitching on twitter is pathetic how people expect MLB to set the schedule based on their jobs. And it’s ridiculous that no one saw this coming. It’s going to be high 60′s for the game, not in the 40 like it would be at night, and I get to take the day off work, and watch my Nats play playoff baseball. I’m happy as can be. Overall there is no reason to bitch.

• natslady - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Davey didn’t want a four o’clock start because of the sun. That was the other choice. I’m with Davey on this one. If it gives the boys a better chance, go for it. Stop whining and watch the Nats win the game!

I work three jobs on Wednesdays, and one o’clock is the WORST possible start time. One of my bosses is very accomodating and will let me start at 6 am so I can finish by 10, get home and get to the game. I saved up all year so I could take the time off. If we go to the WS it will cost me a month’s wages (tickets, plus time off, plus stuff I buy!) No trip to see the family, no dinners out, etc. I haven’t seen the team I rooted for in the WS since 1959–and I was too young to go. I’M GOING NOW.

• natslady - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Well, bear in mind, it is in response to a post about fans, er, bitching! :) ;)

• redrick2828 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Thats because you work at fucking mcdonalds and ur easy to replace for a day.

• natslady - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I’m a (self-employed) teacher. Teachers are not well-paid, so I work part-time delivering newspapers. I sincerely hope your children are not my students. Clearly you think teachers are replaceable because you obviously never paid attention to one and grew up into a lazy, obscene squat.

• stex52 - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Classy, redrick. Better quit now or teacher will catch you and you’ll get detention.

• satchow - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Welcome to the Internet where people bitch, and bitches bitch about the bitching… and so on..

• historiophiliac - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM

and dicks dick with those getting dicked…

You’re not terribly original. Move on.

3. unlost1 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM

pitch Strasburg and i’ll drive hundreds of miles in my underwear to be at the game no matter what time it starts

4. yards555 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Anyone who is claiming that they need to choose between work and going to the game is obviously overblowing the issue. That being said, it’s not ridiculous to expect more notice as to whether the game will be a late afternoon, night, or mid day start. Major League Baseball and the Networks could have figured this out long ago. A lot of people in this area have very high profile and high pressure jobs. Taking a day off is not as easy for some as it is for others. Personally, I have access to every Nationals home game, but because I work in a hyper-competitive industry, It is exponentially easier for me to take a few hours off, as opposed to the whole day. If I’m taking a whole day off, I need a lot of notice, and need to move around a lot of parts.

I am thankful everyday for my job, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be upset at Major League Baseball for not better planning their scheduling, in order to allow me to do the same…

• natslady - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Not true. Some of us are self-employed and will lose mucho $$ by not working. That said, I made the choice to be self-employed. My vacation comes out of my own pocket, no sick days, etc. So my vacation comes in October this year.

People, you’ve known since AUGUST this could happen. Get real.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I don’t often agree with her, but “Natslady” is completely right about this issue. It has been an issue for other fan bases for years and I don’t recall this much whining and bitching about it. If you can’t go, then you can’t go…..but don”t act like this was a completely unforeseen event.

5. darthicarus - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM

That’s a clown time slot MLB bros.

• blacksables - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Every game in the playoffs should be a day game. Night time is for extra innings.

6. mrwillie - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I am anything but a Cards sympathizer, but you didn’t hear their fan base crying when they had a 2pm local start time yesterday.

• beefytrout - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

3:30 you mean

• mrwillie - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Oh yeah, I didn’t cipher my time zones right.

7. kvanhorn87 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM

The rest of us have been dealing with it for 80 years. Welcome to the crowd. Time to put on your big boy pants.

8. philsgamer - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

LOL Historical Significance. You’s funny Nats fans.

9. runyetirun - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

look, anyone that won’t skip work to see what is SURELY the most important mascot race of all time clearly isn’t a real fan of Teddy

wait, what?

10. DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

The day will come when The Cubs again make the World Series. Guess what? The game will start when it is going to start.

Mr. Clean nailed it – suck it up Nats fans. It sucks to have the World Series games start with first pitch temps at 43 degrees (we had tons of those). It happens

11. tomtravis76 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Its one game, there will be plenty of later games in the “Battle of the Beltway World Series.”

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

There’s a beltway between Detroit and Cincinnati?

• brianjoates - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Thats funny, but that would be awful for baseball to have a Reds v Tigers WS…ratings loser.

Sure the Tigers have some real stars for baseball fans, but that team will not draw casual fan interest, unless Kate Upton is a lock to be on camera in a bikini or much less at least once an inning. And the Reds, the only name any non baseball head can name is Votto, if they are lucky.

Nats v Orioles might not be a ratings winner either, but both their team stories this year can draw in a casual baseball fan.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM

MLB can weave a compelling story around any matchup (Tigers=Detroit re-birth a larger sense, etc.), so I think that is a wash. Sure MLB would love major cities to be involved, but what they need is a 7 game series, and what they don’t need is 4 or 5 game series. Looks at the last 2 years – San Fran-Texas should have outdrawn St. Louis-Texas, but the opposite was true, due to 5 games vs. 7 games

12. pjhurley5 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I’m sure telling your boss that you have “Natitude” is a sufficient excuse for missing work; oh wait…it’s not because that’s a clown term, bro.

• brakel471 - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’ve got a fever and the only cure is more eye black!

13. steve7921 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Boy am I glad that the Red Sox didnt make the playoffs…Bobby V won’t have been to the game until the 5th or 6th inning with a 1pm start!!

14. skids003 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Worried about their jobs? I thought the economy was improving, how can this be?

15. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The 1PM start time is bad, sure, but another (potentially worse) issue is that the game is on MLB Network, which is a channel that a substantial number of Washington area residents apparently don’t have. So bad time slot? bad. Not being able to watch the game at all? Substantially worse.

• stoutfiles - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Go to a sports bar. You’ll have more fun there than at home anyway.

16. wonkypenguin - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

A playoff game that starts at noon is why unions fought so hard for sick time. Use it.

17. The Rabbit - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I don’t have a horse in this race, but as a baseball fan it is disappointing that the Nats aren’t getting a reasonable time slot and TBS coverage.
    First, my cable provider here in Brigadoon does not carry the MLB Network. I realize that I can pay for the opportunity to watch the game on the internet, but it pisses me off that I’m being charged for it. I already paid for mlb.tv.
    Second, I know “it’s all about the $$$ stupid” (apologies to Jason) and we have 4 teams playing who haven’t been seen in the post-season for a while, but the Nats and their fans clearly deserve better than this from MLB.
    Bud, you and your minion or coven or whatever that group of advisors are called just continue to suck.

• daisycutter1 - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Not getting TBS coverage is a win. You’re better off going to a bar and watching MLB Network.

18. hisgirlgotburrelled - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Yeah this is the way playoff scheduling has been for years. NY and LA teams get the best times. It’s ratings.

19. mybrunoblog - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Did I miss something? Weren’t the Nats fans bitching about not having the Metro train running due to the late starts?
    The Metro finally caved to the pressure but said it would cost big $…..Hey, problem solved! 1:00 game!
    Nats fans are quickly becoming baseballs new whining class.

• alang3131982 - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I dont think fans were complaining. The organization/MLB/metro was complaining. In no way should DC be footing the bill for residents of Maryland and Virginia to get to and from their homes and to a sporting event at a stadium they supported.

I want metro closed or paid for by the Nats/MLB. I dont think a ton of Nats fans were sincerely complaining about metro but about the fact that the Nats/MLB were being cheap bastards

20. bigtrav425 - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM

she is actually right about the Historical significance thing.anyone who thinks otherwise has no clue.Its Washington D.C with its first playoff game in 40plus years….seems pretty significant to me..

• nategearhart - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM

No one is saying it isn’t historically significant. But why does that mean the Nats should get a later game?

21. El Bravo - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Your team keeps winning and you get to see your team play more. Bottom line.

Sincerely,
    El Bravo :(

• rbiswingames - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM

^^^^^^^^ that there. Get to the World Series, there will be plenty of night games.

22. indaburg - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’m a nurse and I regularly have to work during important games. Some nonsense about people’s lives being more important (although I did switch shifts for the World Series in 2008 so I could go to the fame, but come on, that was The Series.)
    Anyhow my point is, this is why radios still exist. Just listen to the game if you can’t go and you don’t get the MLB network. It’s really not that bad. Hopefully, you don’t have a complete prick of a boss and he (or she) will let you listen, but if your boss is that much of a jerk, you’ve got better things to worry about, like finding another job.

• El Bravo - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

What the f@ck is a radio?

• indaburg - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM

It’s this thing my grandparents used. It’s like texting, but you use your voice. It’s really adorable and quaint.

23. Fr Joe R - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Since the 1950′s even before CBS bought the Yankees, the Game of the week always was the Yankees game. What is the delusion that the Yankees are the only team to watch in Prime time? Just another case of Money talks

24. voteforno6 - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

To me, the worst part about this start time is that the game will be wrapping up during rush hour…getting away from the stadium could take a while. I think that I might ride my bike there instead.

25. inserthandle - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Yeah Nats fans. Don’t you know you’re supposed to bend over and silently accept your position below the Yankees in baseball’s hierarchy. Don’t say a word. Just wince, find a good lube and take it like a man. There’s no crying in baseball.

• daisycutter1 - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM