Nationals fans are not happy about a 1PM start time for tomorrow’s game

Oct 9, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT

MLB-Atlanta Braves @ Washington Nationals

The Nationals will host their first playoff game ever tomorrow, and the first home baseball playoff game for any Washington team since 1933. The game time? 1PM.  This is not making some folks in our nation’s capital happy. From the Post:

“It’s the worst-case scenario,” said John Quinn, who had already purchased tickets for Wednesday’s game and immediately e-mailed his supervisor about taking a half-day. “Some of us actually have to work. It’s really upsetting. This is the first time we’ve had playoff baseball since 1933, and to get the 1 o’clock start time and the MLB Network just seems really unfair.”

I made some comment about this on Twitter this morning and got a handful of similar sentiments. One person literally said “it feels like we’re being forced to choose between keeping our jobs or going to the game,” and expressed survivor’s guilt over the fact that she could go but her boyfriend couldn’t. Another said — I presume with a straight face — that “This is the first home playoff game in D.C. since 1933. Historical significance should play a role in time slots.”

The way I see it: if you’re complaining that your job is keeping you from seeing your baseball team in a playoff game, you’re complaining about having two things that a lot of people would kill to have.

Folks, it’s not great that Major League Baseball will do whatever it can to put the Yankees in a prime time playoff game while relegating other teams to day games. And sure, it would have been nice if MLB scheduled the Nats game a day earlier than it did. But (a) they’ve been doing it for a decade and a half now; (b) everyone knows that a lot of division series games are gonna be day games; and (c) even if the game time was announced a day earlier, how much difference would it make to your employer anyway? Is asking for the day off one day in advance that much worse than two days?  Either way, you’re asking off on short notice. He or she is either amenable to that or not.

But even if that wasn’t the case, you’re not entitled to have playoff games conveniently scheduled around your job, whether your team’s accomplishments are historic or otherwise. Suck it up, Nats Nation.

1. flyer6242 - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

historical significance means nothing unless you are in new York or LA. you are in the playoffs quit your bitching. and you guys get plenty of coverage on ESPN,

2. 12strikes - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I bet Strasburg would not mind PLAYING a day game.

3. materialman80 - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Nobody’s happy about it. I certainly won’t be able to see it since I’m working.

4. kellyb9 - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Their last home playoff game was probably at 1PM too. There’s your historical significance Nats fans….

5. jrocknstuff - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I’m an Orioles fan who works in downtown DC. I commute every day. To that extent I’m glad we drew the Yanks as I knew we would have the prime time slot every night and I wouldn’t have to ask off. On the other hand, my bosses are Nats season ticket holders and will be at the game tomorrow. Some things are just more important than running the company ;)!!!

• byjiminy - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

if the cat’s away, the mice can watch it online!

6. tomnickle - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yes yes. Poor Nats and their fans.

Never mind that the Reds had to start at 9:30 pacific time(11:30 Central) in San Francisco. No big deal I guess, teams are accustomed to starting ball games shortly before midnight.

If the game’s that special to Nats fans. They can probably find a way to get out of work for a half day.

7. stlouis1baseball - Oct 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM

“bend over and silently accept your position.”
    “wince, find a good lube and take it like a man.”

Said the man named “inserthandle.”

8. jagrbomb18 - Oct 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Why is this even news? Grow a set nats fans…cherish this gift that has been given to you because you won’t be back for a other 80 years

9. stlouis1baseball - Oct 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

As I have stated many times…the 1:07 P.M. 1st pitch sucks ass.
    That is all I have to express on the matter.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

If they win the World Series and decide to have a championship parade during the week, I’m curious as to whether the Nationals fans will be complaining that the parade will be held DURING A WORKDAY!!! Geeze.

11. rs2driver - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

To the rest of the baseball fans who reside in THE United States of America…I have to apologize for the hardcore baseball fans of Washington, DC. Look folks…these stroller pushing…snuggly wearing..jogging at nite through questionable neighborhoods…multiple dog walking…step into crosswalk into traffic because they believe it’s their birth right for traffic to stop for them…organic food shopping…Miller 64 sipping…have to leave the grounds of your OWN RESIDENCE to puff a fine Cubano because Sarah gets upset…Prius driving.. grown men texting “k” to another man instead of “ok”..whining fans..STFU WHEN REAL BASEBALL FANS ARE TALKING!!! It’s PLAYOFFS you stunads…do you think..CHC..CHISOX..NYY..NYM..BOSOX…would whine about 1pm start..or what network game is on?!?! Again..I apologize to the baseball fans of America for the candy ass, gentrifying fans of the DC area, “for they know not what they do”

• wethog66 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

As a Nats fan and a lifelong resident of the greater DC area I agree with most of your post, accept your comment about folks stepping into crosswalks with the belief its their “birth right” that you stop for them. Well its not their birth right that you stop for them, its the law:

Failure to STOP and give right of way to a pedestrian who has begun crossing on the WALK signal (signalized intersection): $250 and 3 points

Failure to STOP and give right of way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or unmarked crosswalk at an intersection (un-signalized crosswalk): $250 and 3 points

At $250 and 3 points on your license I suggest you give way to their “birth right”. lol

12. vcupats - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Nats/Cards fans should cheer for Detroit and Cincinnati to sweep tonight so MLB pushes Game 4 until later in the day. If all 4 series are going Thursday then DC likely gets another 1pm game.

13. natsfan22 - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Look… I get the ratings and how that plays into the time slot selections, but MLB should have some say so that no team has 2 daytime weekday games in a row…. I am going to all the games either way, but not everyone can do that (including my wife) and as season ticket holders MLB requires purchasing all games (or none). MLB should settle on a more fan friendly schedule. As for those of you who think DC doesn’t have real baseball fans… you clearly haven’t been to the park… Go Nats!

• natsfan22 - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

MLB has listened to me… lol…

Thursday 4pm
      Friday 8:30pm (if needed)…..

Go Nats!

14. Charlie - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Since a bunch of people are complaining about the time, the assumption is that most or all of Nats fans are upset or even slightly put off by this. I don’t think people love the fact that it’s at 1 on a weekday, but I’m positive that for most people, this problem doesn’t compare to the excitement they feel that the Nats are in the playoffs.
    If it is a problem, really, you’ll see plenty of empty seats. Otherwise, the stadium will be filled and this will be an article based on a couple of whiners, purposely leading the reader to an inaccurate conclusion.

15. pigskinflix - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hey Nat fans, if you are really fond of history, look up the game time of the last D.C. post-season game …… I’m guessing it was closer to 1PM than 8PM. Suck it up Beltway!

16. jbinthe615 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM

JEEZ, I’m getting seriously tired of these people ALWAYS trashing on Nationals fans. There are real fans in DC, who actually went to games and followed the team even when the team sucked, so stop calling us bandwagon and fake fans. I’m especially tired of these Philly fans who always feel the need to run their damn mouth, you guys are asses, your city is terrible… I have no respect for a fan base that cheer for a dog killer every Sunday, who booo Santa Claus, who beat up other fans, or throw up on kids… oh and Phillies fans, where were your so-called great fans when your team sucked, not so long ago??? … Your team is not in the playoffs, ours is, just F-ing DEAL WITH IT, and let us have our time in peace.

• kellyb9 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM

So essentially, what you’re saying is that you have no respect for any fanbase that trashes other fanbases. Got it.

17. mungman69 - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Please stop crying. Just chalk it up to another reason to hate the Yankees.

18. jrocknstuff - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Nominating rs2driver for post of the year. Absolutely just hit the nail on the head about everyone in DC. Love it!

19. gmenfan1982 - Oct 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Regardless of what team you are a fan of, any postseason game scheduled at that time is horrific. Mlb’s scheduling of the playoffs is a disaster.

20. schmedley69 - Oct 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Boo hoo, Nats fans, boo hoo!! Everyone who’s favorite team has made the playoffs the past 20 years has had to deal with the same thing. The Yankees are always given the prime time game. Always. Even after the Phillies won the World Series, they were still given day playoff games the following year while the Yankees got the prime time games. You Nats fans have always had terrible regular season TV ratings anyway, so it’s no surprise that MLB has no desire to put you in prime time. Maybe if you get your attendance and TV ratings up you will have a reason to cry, but until then, you deserve the worst TV slot.

21. larrydavid7000 - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM

FUCK THE YANKEES.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. dolfansam - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM

The Nats are getting no respect. They have the best record in baseball, but get the worst game times. They were playing in St Louis, but had an earlier start time than the Os who were on the East Coast. Yes I understand it is the Yankees, but come on could they have at least have one game on Primetime. I am a diehard Nats fan (partial season ticket holder every year) because of the scheduling I will not be able to see one playoff game that I have waited 7 years for. I am more than mad.

23. gmenfan1982 - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Why can’t MLB just schedule games at the same time? Have they heard of a remote control? People can flip back and forth between games on tv. It’s really not a big deal. Play nats vs cards and giants vs reds at the same time. No big deal. Different markets anyway.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3659)