Oct 9, 2012, 12:59 AM EDT
When he’s not winning games as a reliever, Chris Davis is pretty much known as a home run guy. He hit three of them in a win over Toronto on Aug. 24, and he homered in six games in a row coming down the stretch, helping the Orioles lock up a wild card bid in the process. He ended up with 33 bombs in 515 at-bats for the season. Of his 85 RBI, 55 came on homers.
So, who would have guessed two games into the ALDS, he’d have four hits, all of them singles? One of the two from Monday knocked in two runs and aided the Orioles in defeating the Yankees 3-2 to even up the best-of-five series.
Davis has played in 436 regular-season games since coming up with the Rangers in 2008. He had two singles in 51 of them, so just better than one time every nine games. He did it back-to-back games a total of four times: once in 2008, once in 2009 and twice this May. He’s never had two singles in three consecutive games.
For comparison’s sake, Davis had 144 games of at least two strikeouts. Eliminating the singles requirement, he had 107 games with two or more hits.
What makes Davis’ performance doubly impressive is that he’s had to face CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte the first two games. He doesn’t have a pronounced lefty-righty splits, but as a left-handed hitter, that’s a nice duo to be racking up four hits against. He’ll get to face righties the next two games, with the Yankees slated to throw Hiroki Kuroda and Phil Hughes in New York.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 29
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 21
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)