Oct 9, 2012, 12:59 AM EST
When he’s not winning games as a reliever, Chris Davis is pretty much known as a home run guy. He hit three of them in a win over Toronto on Aug. 24, and he homered in six games in a row coming down the stretch, helping the Orioles lock up a wild card bid in the process. He ended up with 33 bombs in 515 at-bats for the season. Of his 85 RBI, 55 came on homers.
So, who would have guessed two games into the ALDS, he’d have four hits, all of them singles? One of the two from Monday knocked in two runs and aided the Orioles in defeating the Yankees 3-2 to even up the best-of-five series.
Davis has played in 436 regular-season games since coming up with the Rangers in 2008. He had two singles in 51 of them, so just better than one time every nine games. He did it back-to-back games a total of four times: once in 2008, once in 2009 and twice this May. He’s never had two singles in three consecutive games.
For comparison’s sake, Davis had 144 games of at least two strikeouts. Eliminating the singles requirement, he had 107 games with two or more hits.
What makes Davis’ performance doubly impressive is that he’s had to face CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte the first two games. He doesn’t have a pronounced lefty-righty splits, but as a left-handed hitter, that’s a nice duo to be racking up four hits against. He’ll get to face righties the next two games, with the Yankees slated to throw Hiroki Kuroda and Phil Hughes in New York.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (143)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)