Oct 9, 2012, 12:59 AM EDT
When he’s not winning games as a reliever, Chris Davis is pretty much known as a home run guy. He hit three of them in a win over Toronto on Aug. 24, and he homered in six games in a row coming down the stretch, helping the Orioles lock up a wild card bid in the process. He ended up with 33 bombs in 515 at-bats for the season. Of his 85 RBI, 55 came on homers.
So, who would have guessed two games into the ALDS, he’d have four hits, all of them singles? One of the two from Monday knocked in two runs and aided the Orioles in defeating the Yankees 3-2 to even up the best-of-five series.
Davis has played in 436 regular-season games since coming up with the Rangers in 2008. He had two singles in 51 of them, so just better than one time every nine games. He did it back-to-back games a total of four times: once in 2008, once in 2009 and twice this May. He’s never had two singles in three consecutive games.
For comparison’s sake, Davis had 144 games of at least two strikeouts. Eliminating the singles requirement, he had 107 games with two or more hits.
What makes Davis’ performance doubly impressive is that he’s had to face CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte the first two games. He doesn’t have a pronounced lefty-righty splits, but as a left-handed hitter, that’s a nice duo to be racking up four hits against. He’ll get to face righties the next two games, with the Yankees slated to throw Hiroki Kuroda and Phil Hughes in New York.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)