Oct 9, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
This afternoon the Rangers held their season-ending press conference with reporters and among the interesting tidbits passed along by T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com is that they won’t make Josh Hamilton an offer before he hits the open market.
Obviously it’s unlikely that Hamilton would have passed up free agency anyway and Nolan Ryan did not rule out re-signing Hamilton, but at this point very few people seem to think the former MVP will be back in Texas.
Hamilton figures to be one of the most interesting free agents in a long time, because based strictly on his age and production he’d normally be in line for a huge long-term deal. And yet would anyone really be shocked if he failed to crack $100 million?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)