Oct 9, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
This afternoon the Rangers held their season-ending press conference with reporters and among the interesting tidbits passed along by T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com is that they won’t make Josh Hamilton an offer before he hits the open market.
Obviously it’s unlikely that Hamilton would have passed up free agency anyway and Nolan Ryan did not rule out re-signing Hamilton, but at this point very few people seem to think the former MVP will be back in Texas.
Hamilton figures to be one of the most interesting free agents in a long time, because based strictly on his age and production he’d normally be in line for a huge long-term deal. And yet would anyone really be shocked if he failed to crack $100 million?
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)