Rockies fire hitting coach Carney Lansford, third base coach Rich Dauer

Oct 9, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Carney Lansford, Troy Tulowitzki AP

One day after Jim Tracy resigned as manager the Rockies announced that hitting coach Carney Lansford and third base coach Rich Dauer will not be brought back for 2013.

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that no other coaching changes are forthcoming, although whoever is hired to replace Tracy will surely want to build his own coaching staff.

Lansford replaced Don Baylor as the Rockies’ hitting coach in 2011 and the team ranked second and third among NL teams in runs during his two seasons on the job, but that’s misleading because of Coors Field’s impact. On the road the Rockies ranked 28th and 30th in scoring among MLB teams. In other words, take Rockies hitters away from altitude and they were basically the worst in baseball under Lansford.

Of course, that was the same story with the offense under Baylor as well and shows why trying to figure out how to build a consistently strong pitching staff isn’t the only challenge presented by calling Coors Field home.

1. coloradothistle - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM

The Rockies are trying to treat a brain problem by cutting off limbs. The ownership is truly clueless.

2. hushbrother - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

When I was a kid, I was one of several winners in a contest sponsored by Stop ‘N Shop, in which we got to meet Jim Rice and Carney Lansford. Half the kids received hitting tips from Rice, and half (including me) got them from Lansford. While Carney was patient with me during the entire 15 seconds as he showed me how to grip and swing the bat, the fact is I never developed into a major league-caliber hitter.

The Rockies are making the right move.

• willclarkgameface - Oct 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM

That shit was funny.

3. willclarkgameface - Oct 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM

It’s not Carney’s fault that the Rockies can’t hit. They don’t draft well. They don’t groom their system well. They come up with ridiculous ideas about how to handle starting pitching, probably pissing guys off and taking them out of the game mentally.

It’s a shit show in Colorado.

It’s no secret around here how much I despise Florida baseball, but this shit in Colorado is really giving those idiots in Miami a run for their money.

4. sharkcity408 - Oct 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Don’t blame Carney

5. pogodog7 - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

The Rockies were truly a disappointing team. They hit for average but not power, no speed, strike out a lot and didn’t like to take a walk.

However, I believe it was their pitching that really sunk them. They were 2nd in giving up HR’s, BB’s and SHO, worst in WP, CG, ERA, WHIP, Runs and BA, blew almost half their save opportunities. I wish I was the GM of this team, I would absolutely know where to start. Forget the all-stars, they need lots of good pieces like the Orioles and the A’s and a manager not afraid to mix and match and make changes without fear of hurting feelings. I guess Cargo would have to go for draft picks…think like Oakland and Baltimore.

6. gogigantos - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM

We used to call him Carnivorous Lansford because he ate pitchers for lunch. He will find work and stay in the game, love that guy a lot.

Three legends off to Cooperstown