Shaky Rolen should take a seat in Game 4

Oct 9, 2012, 9:39 PM EDT

Scott Rolen

As costly as it was, Scott Rolen‘s second error of the NLDS, which scored the go-ahead run as the Reds lost in 10 innings, isn’t reason alone to stick him on the bench against San Francisco’s Barry Zito in Wednesday’s Game 4 in Cincinnati. But it doesn’t need to be.

In Todd Frazier, the Reds have a third baseman who posted an OPS 200 points higher than Rolen did against lefties this season. Rolen came in at .234 with one homer in 77 at-bats against southpaws. Frazier hit .298 with six homers in 124 at-bats.

Meanwhile, Rolen’s poor September has carried over to the postseason, as he’s opened the series against San Francisco 2-for-11. Frazier struggled during the season’s final month, too, but he outhit Rolen over the rest of the year.¬†As a third baseman, he’ll never be confused with prime Rolen. But then neither will the 37-year-old version of Rolen manning the hot corner right now.

The Reds don’t need to make a permanent Rolen-for-Frazier switch at third. It’s doubtful Dusty Baker would even entertain the thought. Still, plugging in Frazier against the lefty in the second of three possible games in three days makes plenty of sense. The Reds managed Rolen’s playing time carefully all year anyway, and the lineup could use Frazier’s extra pop.

1. hotkarlsandwich - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Bench him for Scott Spezio

• temporarilyexiled - Oct 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Only if it’s the present day Scott Spezio.

2. merchie89 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Bench him for a cold turd…which he is

• ditto65 - Oct 10, 2012 at 6:31 AM

So…bench him for himself?

3. mrredlegz - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I’d imagine Dusty is thinking the same, although it would be highly Dusty of him to say that he had to start Rolen so that they both stay lukewarm.

4. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Count on Dusty Baker to make the wrong decision in the highest pressure situation.

• theman1932 - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Yeah it was Dusty’s fault Broxton allowed more hits before he recorded an out than the previous pitchers had allowed in 9 innings. Hanigan is as much to blame as Rolen, but Broxton deserves the most blame.

5. contraryguy - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Yep, one hard bounce cancels out 8 Gold Gloves…This is ‘be careful what you wish for’ territory for Reds fans… after all, Dusty has finally relented to common sense and put Stubbs in the 8 spot where he belongs. Any concept more radical than that and his ticker might start malfunctioning again

But, yes, it’s time to give Fraz a start. Like tomorrow at… 4:07pm? Where do they come up with these game times?

• RBIs Win Games - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Hush. No complaining about game times–you’ll wake up the Nats fans.

• bengalsucker - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Remember the play that Rolen couldn’t get to when going to his left. He was about a foot and a half away from the ball. Maybe a bit more. I bet Frazier could have made that play. Rolen doesn’t move like he used to. Frazier would have been the better choice by far yesterday. Rolen’s 8 gold gloves are waaaaaay in the past. It’s Frazier’s turn now.

6. metalhead65 - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM

got to get scotty going who needs a guy who could have been ROY? got to have that veteran leadership out there. I would expect to see miguel cairo at first base than frazier starting over rolen tom.

7. footballchic777 - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I thought Frazier would have been the better play tonight. It wasn’t just the last bounced ball, it was the one that went right passed him on his left that I felt Frazier could have made a play on. Thought he looked stiff and tired tonight, and he suffered on both offense and defense. I love Rolen, but Dusty has got to get over this sentiment stuff!

• bengalsucker - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Yes absolutely! I remember that play clear as day. Rolen was about 2 feet away from it. Frazier, being the younger guy, I believe definitely would have made that play no doubt.

8. fournora - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Hey don’t you dare second guess Dusty. I mean his long record of making good managerial decisions speaks for itself. Too bad he didn’t take Bailey off the mound. He could have given him the game ball on the mound.

9. Liam - Oct 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Have to keep Frazier’s excellent big game record in mind. Dude went ham in Williamsport.

• bengalsucker - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Yeah because Rolen’s big game experience really helped last night didn’t it? lol

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Todd Frazier ate ham in Williamsport?

10. bengalsucker - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Wow I hate to say it, wait no I don’t, but I told you so! I called this before the game yesterday. I got chastized because supposedly some thought Rolen’s defense was “much better” than Fraziers and then when I came back at them with defensive numbers that were damn near even and Frazier had 200 less innings played, they shut up really fast. Frazier should have been playing regardless. Maybe he makes that play, maybe he doesn’t. But I’d say he couldn’t have done any worse than the 8 time gold glove winner and veteran. Rolen has been lethargic lately but god forbid we play a rookie in the playoffs. Gotta give those veterans their due time no matter how good or bad they’re playing.

11. stlouis1baseball - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM

You people are freaking out like nobody’s business!
    Relax. IT IS ONE GAME.
    Yes…Frazier should be playing.
    Hell…the way Scottie is playing Miguel Cairo oughta’ be playing 3rd ahead of him.
    After last night’s issues…you can bet your ass Frazier will be playing this evening.
    If nothing else…last night just forced Dusty’s hand.
    IT IS ONE GAME.
    Start Latos…the series is over.

• bengalsucker - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM

As much as I’d hate to admit this, you’re a Cardinals fan and have “been there before” in recent years. We, however, haven’t had a winning playoff game in Cincinnati since 1990 series. So to think we are going to take a loss in the playoffs at home lightly is silly. The Reds dominated in San Francisco and then come home and look lethargic. That’s a$$ backwards if you ask me. So yeah, we’re going to take a loss in the playoffs at home a bit harder than you would.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I hear what you are saying. Your on edge.
        I am still shaking my head in regards to Game #1.
        St. Louis was 4 outs from winning.
        In my opinion they should be up 2-0 going into today’s game. Them’s the brakes.
        I would be a little worried starting Leake.
        From where I sit…you guys are gonna seal it tonight if Dusty starts Latos.
        When it becomes an elimination game…pull your hair out.
        But right now…relax and enjoy it Man. It’s playoff Baseball!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3574)