Oct 9, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
When the Diamondbacks officially fired their television announcing duo of Daron Sutton and Mark Grace there was speculation that they might try to hire Steve Stone away from the White Sox and then Stone fanned the flames a bit by playing sort of coy about his status beyond this season.
That changed today, as Stone made it very clear during a radio interview with WSCR-AM 670 in Chicago that he’ll be back as Hawk Harrelson’s broadcast partner in 2013:
My plans are very simple. I plan to stay with the Chicago White Sox through this contract and hopefully beyond. Regardless of what you might have read or heard or people speculated on or blogged or anything else, I will be back. It’s 100 percent. Hopefully, as I say, for many years. In looking at it, this is, in my estimation, the best big city in the country.
I’ve always liked Stone, dating back to his days with the Cubs alongside Harry Caray, and for as much as non-White Sox fans seem to despise Harrelson in general I actually think they have a decent rapport on the air. They are, in fact, my second favorite Harrelson-Stone duo of all time.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)