Oct 9, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
When the Diamondbacks officially fired their television announcing duo of Daron Sutton and Mark Grace there was speculation that they might try to hire Steve Stone away from the White Sox and then Stone fanned the flames a bit by playing sort of coy about his status beyond this season.
That changed today, as Stone made it very clear during a radio interview with WSCR-AM 670 in Chicago that he’ll be back as Hawk Harrelson’s broadcast partner in 2013:
My plans are very simple. I plan to stay with the Chicago White Sox through this contract and hopefully beyond. Regardless of what you might have read or heard or people speculated on or blogged or anything else, I will be back. It’s 100 percent. Hopefully, as I say, for many years. In looking at it, this is, in my estimation, the best big city in the country.
I’ve always liked Stone, dating back to his days with the Cubs alongside Harry Caray, and for as much as non-White Sox fans seem to despise Harrelson in general I actually think they have a decent rapport on the air. They are, in fact, my second favorite Harrelson-Stone duo of all time.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27