Oct 9, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
When the Diamondbacks officially fired their television announcing duo of Daron Sutton and Mark Grace there was speculation that they might try to hire Steve Stone away from the White Sox and then Stone fanned the flames a bit by playing sort of coy about his status beyond this season.
That changed today, as Stone made it very clear during a radio interview with WSCR-AM 670 in Chicago that he’ll be back as Hawk Harrelson’s broadcast partner in 2013:
My plans are very simple. I plan to stay with the Chicago White Sox through this contract and hopefully beyond. Regardless of what you might have read or heard or people speculated on or blogged or anything else, I will be back. It’s 100 percent. Hopefully, as I say, for many years. In looking at it, this is, in my estimation, the best big city in the country.
I’ve always liked Stone, dating back to his days with the Cubs alongside Harry Caray, and for as much as non-White Sox fans seem to despise Harrelson in general I actually think they have a decent rapport on the air. They are, in fact, my second favorite Harrelson-Stone duo of all time.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (79)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (74)