Steve Stone says he’s sticking with Hawk Harrelson

Oct 9, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT

harrelson and stone

When the Diamondbacks officially fired their television announcing duo of Daron Sutton and Mark Grace there was speculation that they might try to hire Steve Stone away from the White Sox and then Stone fanned the flames a bit by playing sort of coy about his status beyond this season.

That changed today, as Stone made it very clear during a radio interview with WSCR-AM 670 in Chicago that he’ll be back as Hawk Harrelson’s broadcast partner in 2013:

My plans are very simple. I plan to stay with the Chicago White Sox through this contract and hopefully beyond. Regardless of what you might have read or heard or people speculated on or blogged or anything else, I will be back. It’s 100 percent. Hopefully, as I say, for many years. In looking at it, this is, in my estimation, the best big city in the country.

I’ve always liked Stone, dating back to his days with the Cubs alongside Harry Caray, and for as much as non-White Sox fans seem to despise Harrelson in general I actually think they have a decent rapport on the air. They are, in fact, my second favorite Harrelson-Stone duo of all time.

1. jarathen - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM

#1 – Emma Stone/Woody Harrelson
    #2 – Oliver Stone/Woody Harrelson
    #999 – Anyone + Hawk Harrelson.

2. jeffbbf - Oct 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Stone laughed a lot more when he was with Harry. You can almost *hear* Stone lowering his head and rubbing his eyebrows when Hawkeroo goes off on some unusual rant/cheer/howl or whatever he does when he gets excited.

3. willclarkgameface - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

This is cool. While I think the Hawk is a dink, Steve is great and belongs in Chicago.

4. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Hawk Harrelson is a badass.

• shorttracknews - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Damn auto correct…he meant dumbass

• Max Power - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Your machine has a much more positive attitude about things than you do apparently!

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I meant exactly what I said. The fact that people hate him only makes me like him more.

5. aiede - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:04 PM

If Stone had left, we’d have had a couple minutes of uncomfortable silence from Hawk before he started talking about his next broadcast partner as if nothing had happened.

6. APBA Guy - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

In 1980 Stone won the Cy Young for Baltimore, going 25-7. Then he worked with Harry for years in what was an incredibly entertaining partnership. I’m kind of glad he’s staying in Chicago. He’s 65 now, and aside from his Baltimore pitching days, I’ve always associated him with Chicago.

7. DJ MC - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I think we may already live in Zombieland, since Harrelson’s broadcasting style seems designed to eat away one’s brains.

8. crnvic847 - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

There are plenty of white sox fans that despise hawk trust me.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate