Oct 9, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
A random observation from last night’s Yankees-O’s game.
In the third inning, Adam Jones singled. It should have scored J.J. Hardy, but Alex Rodriguez deked him into thinking he had the ball and was going to tag him. Hardy stopped at third when he could have scored without a throw. While the Orioles prevailed, in a low-scoring game like last night’s, it could have been a big deal.
Thing about it, though? It in no way should have worked. Watch the play:
Orioles third base coach DeMarlo Hale is frantically waving Hardy around because he knows where the ball is. Hardy, rather than watch and follow his base coach’s direction, got suckered by A-Rod.
John Smoltz — who earlier in the game forgot that the infield fly rule existed — gave A-Rod kudos for the deke. I noticed a lot of people on Twitter did too. And you know that if Jeter had made that move, minstrels would already be roaming the countryside, singing ballads about the play and further burnishing His legend.
But that play was all on Hardy’s lack of focus. It never shoulda worked.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 21
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 22
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)