The Jets beat the Yankees in the ratings last night

Oct 9, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

old TV

I’m usually the first person to note that football and baseball ratings are apples and oranges. Usually because baseball is primarily a local viewership thing and football is more of a national thing.  That said, I was kind of surprised by the comparison of the ratings between the Jets-Texans game and the Yankees-Orioles game last night.

Not nationally, of course . That was not surprising at all — see: local vs. national — but in the New York market itself:

The Jets drew a 10.0 rating nationally while the Yankees, who played on TBS, scored a meager 3.6. The spread was much smaller in New York, with Gang Green scoring a 13.8 and the Bombers a respectable 11.0.

I’m torn: should we credit Tebow for this or blame A-Rod?

1. sjs1959 - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You gotta ask?

TEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOWTEBOW.

Any questions? I completely blame Skip Bayless for this, by the way.

2. vallewho - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

TBS

3. darthicarus - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Considering that was the 666th MNF game, Tebow was involved, and Mark Sanchez now has a QB rating of 66.6 it’s obvious that He has bigger plans for NY. He is obviously referring to Derek Jeter and his ability to influence television viewership among his disciples of Yankee-dom. Forseeing a Yankee loss the Almighty SS wanted local sports fans to continue their bashing of the Jets & allow the Yankees to face less scrutiny.

4. mrfloydpink - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I don’t know about Tebow or A-Rod, but I do know that the low ratings were despite Jeter’s hustle, heads-up play, and Gold Glove defense.

5. indaburg - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

How do the ratings account for people who switch back and forth? The person in charge of the remote last night kept switching from baseball to football until I left the room in a huff to watch the O’s and Yankees without interruption on another tv.

• stex52 - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM

It’s a tribute to your obvious good nature that the relationship has survived. Nobody switches my baseball to football. (Of course, she doesn’t like football, anyway). :-)

• indaburg - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

We’re a mixed marriage.

• sportsland33 - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

The sample they use is so small, Nielsen numbers are good for tracking National trends, but not very accurate on a local level for a single night. Basically even in my mind, which maybe is bad enough considering it’s a playoff game against a division ‘rival’ going up against the terrible Jets in a pretty uneventful game

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM

This is why I married a woman who holds little interest in viewing sports. While she watches Glee on the tablet I get the large TV to myself.

• ajcardsfan - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

You just gave me an idea, have the sound from Glee on in the background, with baseball on mute. The Glee singing has to be better then listening to Joe Buck, probably more insightful commentary too.

• indaburg - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM

The singing from Glee vs. Joe Buck. That is one tough choice.

6. ajcardsfan - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Why not Both, perhaps it was Tebow smiting A-Rod for cheating on Kate Hudson way back when?

7. 13arod - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

most people would not watch both

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Game 2 of 5 is not as exciting as a winner take all regular season football game. The rain delay probably cost some viewers as well.

Plus, yeah, Tebow. Everyone wants to see if THIS is the week Sanchez is replaced.

• El Bravo - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Yeah but the Jets suck majorly. Why watch that fiasco of a team at all?

• kellyb9 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM

It’s like watching a train wreck… I… can’t… turn…… away……

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Schadenfreude?

• Kevin S. - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Because as a Dolphin fan, I have to enjoy something this season.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I’m more interested in when A-Rod will be benched. He’s sucking the life out of the middle of the order.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Replace him with who? It is not like anyone else on the teams is lighting up the scoreboard. It has been 2 games. Let’s all chill.

9. 13arod - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM

why not watch both

• bigharold - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM

There you go.

I have a remote and a draw full of double A batteries. But lets be clear, .. it was watching the Yankees and checking on the Jets. Of course the down side is within a half hour both games were over, … the Jets did better than expected, while the Yankees dis not. But, both still managed to disappoint

Besides, my wife was using the TV with picture in a picture so I didn’t have many options.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM

It’s spelled D-R-A-W-E-R

10. dondada10 - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM

What I never understood is how the ratings take into consideration viewership at bars.

For example, if 10 people watch a game on 1 television, how many viewers do the ratings reflect?

11. papichulo55 - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I guess its true about the opinion that stats can be interpreted any which-way. The Jets are on 16+ times, compared to the Yankees 162+, yet people want to compare popularity on a one-day basis. The reality is that you really cant compare them. Market saturation is totally differrent. Besides, the Nielsen Ratings, designed to determine prices for commercials, favor the Yankees. The Yanks are far more profitable because they can sell 162+ days of good ratings.

12. Brian Donohue - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I’ve lived in NYC for 25 yrs., and I know our fans love a good comedy more than anything. So the Jets had more promise in that way last night than the Yanx. Who would have expected that Ichiro would steal the comedy show with his hilarious Ninja-dance at home plate, and that the Jets would actually make a serious game of their encounter with the superior visitors from TX?

13. willclarkgameface - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Blame TBS.

Postseason games getting tucked away on networks that run marathon sequences of decade-old shows are bound to get shit ratings.

And the vast majority of people outside of the Tri State area tend to hate the Yankees.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate