Oct 9, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Thomas Boswell of the Washington Post on September 2:
The four-man rotation, primed for October that I’ve described is Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson and Ross Detwiler. So all of the pundits who say the Nats can’t go to the Series or even win it, just because they won’t have Strasburg, can kiss my press pass.
Barry Svrgula of The Washington Post, today:
Zimmermann’s start Monday continued a worrisome trend … Mix in poor starts from Jackson and Detwiler in blowout losses Sept. 28 and 30, respectively, with the shaky outings from Gonzalez and Zimmermann to open the postseason, and the Nationals’ most recent turn through the rotation against St. Louis has yielded 112 / 3 innings, 16 walks and a 13.89 ERA.
Svrgula ends his column by noting that the Number One Starter Whose Name Must Not Be Spoken had a great start against the Cardinals just before his shutdown.
No, I don’t think that the Nats are toast. It’s tied for cryin’ out loud, and Edwin Jackson is capable of shutting anyone down. But the lesson of Game 2 — and really any playoff game in history — is that anything can happen. Your top pitchers can have bad outings sometimes, no matter how great they were in the regular season.
Which means that you can never have enough good pitchers. And which means that boorishly mocking anyone who dared suggest that maybe — just maybe — a team would like to have a pitcher like Stephen Strasburg in the playoffs was kinda silly.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (70)