Oct 9, 2012, 12:28 AM EDT
I’m not going to go all “blame A-Rod” here. The fact is that baseball’s active home run leader wasn’t half bad on Monday night. He lined into a double play in his first at-bat, but that as just bad luck: the ball was scalded. He had a clean single his second time up.
Of course, that was pretty much it. Rodriguez went up to the plate three more times: he flied out in the fifth and then struck out in the seventh and ninth. The second strikeout ended the game as the Orioles won 3-2 to even the best-of-five series.
In all, Rodriguez has five strikeouts to go along with his single and a walk in 10 plate appearances against the Orioles. He did finish the regular season okay, going 6-for-15 with four walks and three strikeouts in his last four games. However, he was in a 2-for-24 slump before that. He has one extra-base since Sept. 14 and one RBI since Sept. 19.
In short, Rodriguez looks like the easiest out in the Yankees lineup right now. He’s not getting around on good fastballs, and when he does get a mistake breaking ball, he’s not driving it out of the park. It’s not that Rodriguez can’t hit in the playoffs or needs to be benched or any of that nonsense. It’s just that with the way he looks right now — and with the way he’s looked pretty much the whole year — he’s probably more of a No. 6 hitter than a guy who should be hitting ahead of Robinson Cano. Switching him and Mark Teixeira would make a lot of sense.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 59
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 50
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)