Tim Hudson was kinda glad to see Braves fans throw crap all over the field

Oct 9, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT

Cardinals Braves Baseball

Tim Hudson was on the radio yesterday and talked about the blown infield fly rule call from Friday’s wild card game. Not surprisingly, he thought it was terrible. Somewhat surprisingly, he wasn’t too hard on Braves fans for chucking trash onto the field in the aftermath:

I don’t blame the fans for doing what they did and reacting the way they did. Show them some passion and let them know that they didn’t get the call right. That’s not something that I condone or the Atlanta Braves condone, but I was fired up to see everybody in the stadium just ticked off at what just happened. We were the same way and it’s something that, after a little while, I think it’s a little bit embarrassing, but at the same time one side of me was just happy to see our fans just backing us up and letting them know how they felt.

Don’t encourage them, Tim. And be careful too. “Passion,” as you put it, when exercised by people who very rarely exhibit it, can lead to bad things. It’s a little like a mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it.

1. dondada10 - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM

If fans chanted “Bullshit”, or did something of that nature, I’d be all for it. But if that were a regular season game, the umps may have very well called it a forfeit.

Is that what you want to encourage?

• stevem7 - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Absolutely that is what you want to encourage. Lets have these Umpires call a game a forfeit because they made a bad call. That way you get even more FLOOD LIGHTS focused on a bunch of people who keep making mistake after mistake after mistake. Sooner or later MLB is going to HAVE to do something about these sub standard umpires because fans across this country are getting fed up with people who can’t get it right.

• mrdry14 - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Get over it….the Braves lost. It wasn’t the blown call that cost the game, but the three errors made by the choking dogs. Also, couldn’t hit with men in scoring position, another choke.

2. frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

First Braves fans are too nonchalant and don’t care enough.

Now they show passion and lack class.

What a great argument.

At least they weren’t throwing batteries or rocks.

• paperlions - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

In fairness, you can show passion in ways that are not classless. There really is no excuse to ever throw anything on the field.

• hconnor2001 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM

So presumably the, currently 4, people who thumbs down this comment think either that there are no ways of showing passion that are not classless or that there are actually real, proper, genuine excuses to throw things on the field of play of a sports contest.

Looking forward to reading those posts.

• hconnor2001 - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM

10 now. Wow! Please could one of you set out the excuses that there for throwing things onto the field.

• badintent - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Women should throw bras, panties, dildos, vibrators, etc( worked for Tom Jones). Men should just moon. Where’s Moss ?

• ezwriter69 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, ’cause full beer cans are utterly harmless when thrown, everyone knows that…

• howardclark - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If someone had been hit in the head and injured by a hurled beer can, the content of this discussion would be much different.

3. alexo0 - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Haha. Mule.

4. gogigantos - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Pretty sure that, if there was and empty beer cup in my at the moment, I would have thrown some garbage too after that *&&*% call. Heat of the moment and all, empty is important.
    Why is the beer cup empty more often than not?

• gogigantos - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

and then felt like an ass at home,,,, should have brought my wrist rocket to the yard, I knew it would come in handy one day,, all that practice shooting wombats,,,,

5. vallewho - Oct 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

The incident got a lot of press, yet no one wants to address the root cause. Things like this will continue to happen (and escalate).

• hconnor2001 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Quite right. End alcohol sales and establish intelligence tests for fans that can be taken at the turnstiles. Nail these two root causes and we cqan be pretty sure that this sort of thing will happen less often. I strongly agree.

• dondada10 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I think he’s referring to a lack of reply and umps not being held accountable.

• djeter220 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM

There were plenty of soda and water bottles on the field as well

• hconnor2001 - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

@ dondada

I know that. But I was responding to the bogusness of the argument.

1. Even with increased replay, which I would greatly favour, plays like this, which depend to some degree on the interpretation of events, will properly not be subject to it.

2. The crowd was not responding to a lack of accountability. they were responding to a perceived bad call. Even with the greater accountability you advocate (which is generally shorthand for wanting an eye for eye when your team gets shafted), there is no evidence that crowd reactions in heated circumstances such as these would be any different.

3. To be clear, bottles (of whatever provenance or type) were not thrown on the field because of lack of replay or accountability. They were thrown on the field because people chose to throw them there. There is no excuse or justification for that and it goes a long way beyond OK behaviour. Life goes on and worse things happen at sea etc. but just let’s not try to find excuses for it.

@djeter: hence the intelligence tests too.

• vallewho - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

hconnor2001 – If this was an isolated incident, then I would agree with you 100%…but it is simply not the case. MLB needs to get with the program.

6. bosshogg3 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

There was nothing wrong with what braves fans did. If they were purposely targeting someone with all their bottles then I would have a problem. They were just letting their displeasure out in a way that would get MLB’s attention it wasn’t an embarrassment like the media has made it out to be.

• hconnor2001 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Again, strongly agree. Why just the other day, I threw a number of bottles out of the car window as I drove through town because I was annoyed at the way the town council had placed the new traffic lights and wished them to be aware of my displeasure. I wasn’t purposely targetting anyone and certainly I see no reason to be embarrassed by my behaviour.

7. blacksables - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Tim Hudson needs to go have lunch with Willie Horton and learn how players deal with fans in situations that get out of hand.

Because right now, he’s a punk.

• weaselpuppy - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Willie Horton may be one of the most underappreciated stars the game has ever seen….as a player and a human being. Anytime you go out to the streets and single-handedly stop a riot ( a REAL riot, not a bunch of hooligans misbehaving about losing a sports event), you are a treasure to your city and Baseball.

• skids003 - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:13 AM

He has more class than you’d ever be close to having.

8. pkers - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM

So really, the only solution to the dual problems of questionable umpiring calls and disruptive and possibly dangerous fan behavior is a monorail. I think we can all agree on this- after all, the monorail solved all the problems in Brockton, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook, by gum!

• schlom - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

9. meteor32 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

But the fans threw trash on the field in Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook and by gum it put them on the map.

• El Bravo - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM

10. joshtown81 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Hey guys, I read the comments every day but I never actually sign in to MAKE a comment. A couple of things:

– I was at the game Friday night, and it was as loud a crowd as I’ve ever seen at Turner Field. It was fantastic. Hate all you want on the chop, but it’s something that got everybody on their feet, nearly every inning.

– Dondada – We actually did chant bullsh** for several minutes. I assume that’s when the TV cut away, I still haven’t seen a replay of the game. But for a good 2 minutes we chanted bullsh** in unison. And it was fantastic.

– No, I didn’t throw anything on the field, but a ton of people around me did. I felt like I “should” be mad at what they were doing, but I actually wasn’t. I know we didn’t lose the game because of that call, but it certainly helped kill the rally, and I think the way the game had gone, we had had enough.

– I understand where Huddy is coming from. And no, I still don’t think our fans are anything like New York or Philly fans. Having said that, we were living and breathing with every pitch, because I think most of us assumed we’d actually win in the postseason for a change.

– Is what happened morally right? Probably not. But Braves came out in full force. Most people who threw things weren’t drunk at all. Yes, beer bottles flew, but just as many Coke, and Dasani Water bottles flew. We weren’t all drunk. We were upset.

– Best game I’ve been to in a decade.

• hconnor2001 - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I get most of this and can imagine it was a real fun, exciting game to be at, made more so by the controversy over the umpiring call. No problem with the upset, just responding earlier to the suggestion that the bottle throwing was somehow justified. It wasn’t and let’s not tie that in with (what I would say was totally correct) disappoointment at the call.

• alang3131982 - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

when was the last time New York or Philly fans threw things on the field? At best you’re worse. it’s borderline assault and just horribly stupid….there’s no justification, so just shut up.

• skids003 - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

NY and Philly fans just brawl in the stands. They throw it at each other.

• rbehersmed83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Your right NY and Philly fans just run onto the field and run up to the actual players themselves…. I mean that’s not as dangerous as throwing a empty or half empty bottle or can 25ft from the outfield wall!!!! And all of this full can or bottle talk???? Dude gave me a reason to chug the one I had and then chill while drinking the other and watching everyone else do the same!! Come on man. Oh BTW I didn’t see Philly or NY in any postseason so please just shut the hell up. That’s all!!! Go Bravos next year it’s on!

• greymares - Oct 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

of course the Braves fans are not like N.Y./Philly fans, that’s understandable for many reasons but the one that was staring you right in the face was the Braves fans were throwing underhanded lol.

11. djeter220 - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I wouldn’t want to see that happen again, but to me it didn’t make a bigger mockery of the game than the actual call did.

12. illadelphiasphinest - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Real classy ATL….. SMH

13. jason9696 - Oct 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM

This probably would have happened in any other major league ball park. Except maybe up in Toronto. Because we all know Canadians are much more civilized than Americans.

14. smftrdr - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Considering the call wasn’t botched, it’s just classless.

• rbehersmed83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:42 AM

You must be a hockey fan from Canada with jason9696 because you obviously have not a clue!! Go grab a puck that’s what Canadians will throw in Toronto….. Oh crap Toronto hasn’t smelled a real playoff game in a while so you and your friend jason9696 can just go catch a movie as man friends aww how cute.

15. willclarkgameface - Oct 10, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I’m just very shocked that Atlanta residents – and yes, I’m refusing to use the word “fans” here because I don’t think Atlanta has “fans” of anything – showed this much disdain for the play/call in question.

It was a bogus call.

But let us not forget about the egregious defense leading up to that point in the game by your Atlanta Braves.

The Braves were going home anyway, but thanks for coming to the ballpark Atlanta residents and being a part of…something.

16. thesportsguru7 - Oct 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM

At least Philly fans try to give their team a “jolt” by throwing batteries! What good is it throwing garbage on a field?

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey