Oct 10, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has been dealing with a painful bone bruise in his left ankle since the middle of September. He was able to play through the discomfort over the final few weeks of the regular season, but he might have just aggravated the injury.
Jeter fouled a ball off his left foot in the third inning of Wednesday’s ALDS Game 3 against the Orioles and had to be lifted in the ninth after hobbling through a couple more at-bats and defensive chances.
He’d grimace after every swing, and his already-limited range at short was made even worse.
Jeter finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and two strikeouts. Jayson Nix came on to replace him in the field.
The Yankees currently trail the Orioles 2-1 in this five-game division series that is tied at a game apiece.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)