Oct 10, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has been dealing with a painful bone bruise in his left ankle since the middle of September. He was able to play through the discomfort over the final few weeks of the regular season, but he might have just aggravated the injury.
Jeter fouled a ball off his left foot in the third inning of Wednesday’s ALDS Game 3 against the Orioles and had to be lifted in the ninth after hobbling through a couple more at-bats and defensive chances.
He’d grimace after every swing, and his already-limited range at short was made even worse.
Jeter finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and two strikeouts. Jayson Nix came on to replace him in the field.
The Yankees currently trail the Orioles 2-1 in this five-game division series that is tied at a game apiece.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8