Oct 10, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has been dealing with a painful bone bruise in his left ankle since the middle of September. He was able to play through the discomfort over the final few weeks of the regular season, but he might have just aggravated the injury.
Jeter fouled a ball off his left foot in the third inning of Wednesday’s ALDS Game 3 against the Orioles and had to be lifted in the ninth after hobbling through a couple more at-bats and defensive chances.
He’d grimace after every swing, and his already-limited range at short was made even worse.
Jeter finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and two strikeouts. Jayson Nix came on to replace him in the field.
The Yankees currently trail the Orioles 2-1 in this five-game division series that is tied at a game apiece.
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 0
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 12
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 28
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 65
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)