Oct 10, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has been dealing with a painful bone bruise in his left ankle since the middle of September. He was able to play through the discomfort over the final few weeks of the regular season, but he might have just aggravated the injury.
Jeter fouled a ball off his left foot in the third inning of Wednesday’s ALDS Game 3 against the Orioles and had to be lifted in the ninth after hobbling through a couple more at-bats and defensive chances.
He’d grimace after every swing, and his already-limited range at short was made even worse.
Jeter finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and two strikeouts. Jayson Nix came on to replace him in the field.
The Yankees currently trail the Orioles 2-1 in this five-game division series that is tied at a game apiece.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)