Oct 10, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has been dealing with a painful bone bruise in his left ankle since the middle of September. He was able to play through the discomfort over the final few weeks of the regular season, but he might have just aggravated the injury.
Jeter fouled a ball off his left foot in the third inning of Wednesday’s ALDS Game 3 against the Orioles and had to be lifted in the ninth after hobbling through a couple more at-bats and defensive chances.
He’d grimace after every swing, and his already-limited range at short was made even worse.
Jeter finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and two strikeouts. Jayson Nix came on to replace him in the field.
The Yankees currently trail the Orioles 2-1 in this five-game division series that is tied at a game apiece.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 44
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)