Diamondbacks interested in hiring announcer Bob Brenly away from Cubs

Oct 10, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT

brenly in booth

Cubs television analyst Bob Brenly is drawing interest from the Diamondbacks, with Arizona team president Derrick Hall saying as much during a radio interview yesterday while coyly using the code name “Lob Lenly.”

Brenly is currently announcing playoff games for TBS, but speculation about the Diamondbacks making a run at their former manager has been prevalent since August and the team officially firing their old announcing duo of Daron Sutton and Mark Grace got rumors rolling again.

His contract with the Cubs expired at the end of the season, but back in August when Brenly was asked about his contract status and the Diamondbacks rumors he called it “rain delay filler” and replied that “I have every confidence that we’ll get something done” to remain with the Cubs.

White Sox television analyst Steve Stone was also briefly linked to the Diamondbacks, but said yesterday that he’s staying in Chicago as Hawk Harrelson’s partner.

1. Alex K - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I hope Bob stays. He’s amazing.

• kkingprior - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

“Yes dear, you’re right, I’m sorry.”

• imarksports - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I miss Steve Stone and Harry.
      Listening to a ball game is supposed to be fun.
      Brenly is dry and full of statisitics.
      I like Len, but dump Brenly.
      Another good reason that Hendry is gone.
      He fired Steve Stone who is much better than brenly.
      RE-hire Steve Stone!

• dstark9 - Oct 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

how can people give this guy 18 thumbs down? I like Brenly, but Steve Stone and Harry Carey were extremely fun to watch. Personally I’m not a big fan of Kasper…but honestly Kaspser is one of the best in the game by listening to some of the other announcers out there. I just dont care for Kasper because he seems to try to trademark some calls that he announces. I would love to see them bring in Kerry Wood and Mark grace though.

• bionicbippy - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You must be kidding. He is NOTHING more than a BRAYING JACKASS. He is a bloatted wind bag who over explains everything like he is talkuing to a bunch of MORONS. The idiot JAY CARNEY [Pres. Obama’s mouth piece} is the only bigger liar than BOOB BRENLY!!!!!

2. Lukehart80 - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I’m not a Cubs fan, but I live in Chicago and watch a decent number of their games. I’d be happy to see Brenly move on, just so as Len Kasper doesn’t go anywhere. Kasper could call the games by himself, as far as I’m concerned.

• azvikefan - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I live in PHX and would love to see Kasper and Brenly come here. I will miss Gracie but not Sutton.

• Alex K - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Len is great, too. I think the Cubs have really found a great TV team. I can’t imagine why you would be happy to see one of the best leave.

• Lukehart80 - Oct 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I don’t think Brenly and Kasper are a bad team, but for me, Brenly isn’t bringing a lot to the table. He’s certainly a lot better than Hawk Harrelson, but I wouldn’t be worried about the quality of Cubs’ broadcasts falling off if he leaves, Len Kasper is doing the heavy lifting there.

• Alex K - Oct 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I appreciate his humor. He’s just half of a really entertaining team, in my opinion. I appreciate that he’s filler for you, though.

If I had to choose between Len and Bob I’m going to choose Len, because he does a tremendous amount of the heavy lifting and I look at the game in a very similar way. But for color guys it doesn’t get any better than Bob.

3. hojo20 - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Bob Brenly stinks on the air. I wish Steve Stone would come back to the Cubs.

4. xmatt0926x - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I get WGN on Verizon Fios here in South Jersey so I do catch a few Cubs games here and there. I like Brenly a lot. I don’t know what it is. He’s very soothing to listen to, if that makes sense. He’s got some kind of old-time baseball announcer vibe going on.

5. niubears - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Bob keeps Cubs game entertaining and that’s hard to do.

6. meteor32 - Oct 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM

How can the Cubs let go of the man who coined the term “Bizarro World Series”? That running gag alone made that final final series with the Astros entertaining. I didn’t think it could possible to enjoy watching two 100 loss teams play that much.

7. stairwayto7 - Oct 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

If Brenley was an announcer for D’Cracks, the first 3 game losing streak he would be pushing to manage the team and the odl blur hair fans woudl be screaming for him also!

• bnz27 - Oct 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Wow…. what? That didn’t make any sense. I guess you’re a Cubs fan. That must be the kind of stuff that happens with you guys.

8. bnz27 - Oct 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Brenly makes good money broadcasting for WGN and the Cubs. The Diamondbacks won’t match that or even come close. Also, from the sound of it, Brenly has no desire to go to the desert. That’s fine, Arizona fans want Jim Traber back as the TV analyst anyway. #BringBackJimmyT

9. flmdcubswin - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM

PLEASE TAKE HIM. Let’s find a place to send Len to as well.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5153)