Oct 10, 2012, 1:03 PM EST
Cubs television analyst Bob Brenly is drawing interest from the Diamondbacks, with Arizona team president Derrick Hall saying as much during a radio interview yesterday while coyly using the code name “Lob Lenly.”
Brenly is currently announcing playoff games for TBS, but speculation about the Diamondbacks making a run at their former manager has been prevalent since August and the team officially firing their old announcing duo of Daron Sutton and Mark Grace got rumors rolling again.
His contract with the Cubs expired at the end of the season, but back in August when Brenly was asked about his contract status and the Diamondbacks rumors he called it “rain delay filler” and replied that “I have every confidence that we’ll get something done” to remain with the Cubs.
White Sox television analyst Steve Stone was also briefly linked to the Diamondbacks, but said yesterday that he’s staying in Chicago as Hawk Harrelson’s partner.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)