Oct 10, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Yasiel Puig, the Dodgers prospect signed out of Cuba for $42 million in June, will not participate in the Arizona Fall League after being diagnosed with a staph infection in his right elbow.
It got so bad that Puig needed surgery, but Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that he should be ready to resume workouts in 3-5 weeks.
After signing with the Dodgers the 22-year-old outfielder was assigned to rookie-ball and then quickly moved up to high Single-A, hitting a combined .354 with five homers and a 1.076 OPS in 23 games.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)