Hunter Pence rallied the troops before last night’s game

Oct 10, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Cincinnati Reds - Game Three Getty Images

Hunter Pence did more to add to his legend yesterday than most guys do all year. In addition to playing without functioning legs (more or less), he gave the Giants the Knute Rockne treatment before the game. Via Andrew Baggarly at CSNBayArea.com, here’s the speech he gave his teammates:

“Get in here, everyone get in here. Look into each other eyes. Now! Look into each others eyes, I want one more day with you. It’s the most fun, the best team I have ever been on and no matter what happens we must not give in. We owe it to each other. Play for each other. I need one more day with you guys, I need to see what Ryan Theriot will wear tomorrow, I want to play defense behind Ryan Vogelsong because he’s never been to the playoffs. Play for each other not yourself. Win each moment. Win each inning. It’s all we have left.”

I hope Theriot’s outfit lives up to Pence’s expectations today.

1. stex52 - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I like the kid. It seems he will alternately suffer from being overrated or underrated for the rest of his career. I guess that is a typical fate for a talented but streaky player. But you could certainly never say that he doesn’t care.

2. dclogicatlast - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM

As a Phillies fan, I will always have a soft spot for this guy. He may not be conventional, but you can’t question his heart.

3. metalhead65 - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM

nice speech but it had nothing to do with the giants win. that had more to do with the Reds giving them the game than any pre game speech. if it did then it was a pretty weak speech seeing as they had 1 hit thru 9 innings. if they were really motivated you would think they could come up with something more than that.

4. makeham98 - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

The 2011 Phillies were a better team, though the best team doesn’t always win.

He’s still playing for a contract. With the huge deficiencies in his game – starting with his own plate discipline – it will be interesting to see if a top team brings him on with a big contract. I see him in a small market situation.

• stex52 - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I think he really hurt himself this year. His OPS was down nearly 100 points from his career average and way down from 2011. I don’t know if the situation in Philly got in his head or what, because defense was way down, too. He was always about an average fielder with a good arm, but he had the advantage of good fielding centerfielders in Houston. In 2012 I gather he took two steps back.

You are probably right. 2012 may have been an aberration, but I don’t see him getting a big contract on that performance.

5. stoutfiles - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM

And then the Giants got one hit through 9 innings and only won because the Reds offense was equally abysmal.

What is Pence now, 0 for 12 hitting in the playoffs? This speech is a joke right?

6. jrod2173 - Oct 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM

makeham98 – Oct 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    stex52 – Oct 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

————————————————————
    Pence is still under team control for next year. The Giants have already said they will be keeping Pence around, whether its for just next year or working out a long term deal.

7. deathmonkey41 - Oct 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Would have been so much better had he talked about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor…

• moogro - Oct 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

That would be Bill Murray, not Rockne.

• stex52 - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Thanks. I didn’t remember, but I hadn’t seen him on free agent lists. I would sure keep him for a team control year. He is capable of great things when he is hot.

• stex52 - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM

And that’s John Belushi with the “Germans” quote. Animal House.

8. Gobias Industries - Oct 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Sadly, Theriot forgot to pick up his dry cleaning after the game yesterday so today he’s wearing a boring old navy blue Hanes t-shirt and a pair of Levi’s. You let Hunter and the rest of your team down, Ryan. You let them down.

Three legends off to Cooperstown