Oct 10, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Jaime Garcia was removed from the Cardinals’ playoff roster yesterday after lasting just two innings in Game 2 and an MRI exam showed shoulder inflammation and a moderate rotator cuff strain.
And now Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Garcia will be in New York tomorrow getting a second opinion from Dr. David Altcheck, who has performed surgeries on a number of high profile pitchers over the years.
Strauss previously reported two intriguing things that seemingly were in direct contrast to each other. One was that “several teammates were incensed to learn that Garcia started such a monumental game if indeed compromised physically.” The other was that “a faction within the organization has remained skeptical about the severity of Garcia’s condition.”
So his teammates were “incensed” that he tried to pitch hurt, but his team was “skeptical” that he was actually hurt. I’m not sure how to make sense of those two things, but Strauss is one of the most plugged-in beat reporters in baseball and general manager John Mozeliak’s comments about the situation certainly suggest lots of issues from all parties involved.
What we do know for certain is that this is the third time this season Garcia has been shut down with shoulder problems, including a two-month stint on the disabled list. And now, depending on what the second opinion finds, he may need surgery. If nothing else that would certainly rule out the whole “skeptical about the severity of Garcia’s condition” thing.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 31
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 6
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)