Oct 10, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Jaime Garcia was removed from the Cardinals’ playoff roster yesterday after lasting just two innings in Game 2 and an MRI exam showed shoulder inflammation and a moderate rotator cuff strain.
And now Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Garcia will be in New York tomorrow getting a second opinion from Dr. David Altcheck, who has performed surgeries on a number of high profile pitchers over the years.
Strauss previously reported two intriguing things that seemingly were in direct contrast to each other. One was that “several teammates were incensed to learn that Garcia started such a monumental game if indeed compromised physically.” The other was that “a faction within the organization has remained skeptical about the severity of Garcia’s condition.”
So his teammates were “incensed” that he tried to pitch hurt, but his team was “skeptical” that he was actually hurt. I’m not sure how to make sense of those two things, but Strauss is one of the most plugged-in beat reporters in baseball and general manager John Mozeliak’s comments about the situation certainly suggest lots of issues from all parties involved.
What we do know for certain is that this is the third time this season Garcia has been shut down with shoulder problems, including a two-month stint on the disabled list. And now, depending on what the second opinion finds, he may need surgery. If nothing else that would certainly rule out the whole “skeptical about the severity of Garcia’s condition” thing.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)