Oct 10, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday when the Reds announced that Johnny Cueto has been diagnosed with a strained right oblique muscle they initially left open the possibility that he could start today’s Game 4 against the Giants.
That always seemed incredibly unlikely and sure enough just hours later manager Dusty Baker officially ruled out Cueto for the start. However, the actual Game 4 starter hasn’t been announced yet as the Reds decide between Mat Latos on short rest or Mike Leake, who could only be added to the roster if Cueto is removed (and thus made ineligible to return before the World Series).
Latos threw four innings and 57 pitches in relief of Cueto in Game 1 on Saturday, so perhaps the short rest would be canceled out by the lower than usual workload. Based on the usual recovery timetable for oblique injuries Cueto is unlikely to be ready for at least a couple weeks and if that’s the case they might as well make the move for Leake.
For now the Game 4 starter is listed as “TBA” and the first pitch is scheduled for 4:07 ET.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)