Oct 10, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
Orioles utilityman Ryan Flaherty registered a weak .216/.258/.359 batting line over a total of 167 plate appearances during the regular season. But with these O’s, we’ve come to expect the unexpected.
Flaherty launched a solo shot to the right field porch at Yankee Stadium in the third inning of this ALDS Game 3, providing Baltimore with a sudden 1-0 advantage. It was the first home run of the series for the Orioles, and the first postseason dinger for the franchise since Eric Davis went yard in October ’97.
The Yankees battled back in the bottom of the third inning, with Derek Jeter launching an RBI triple over the head of Orioles center fielder Adam Jones following a Russell Martin double. Jones took a bad — and somewhat lackadaisical – route to the ball while blowing a bubble with his chewing gum.
The big crowd in The Bronx was quiet in the early going but has now come alive. This series is tied 1-1.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)