Oct 10, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
Orioles utilityman Ryan Flaherty registered a weak .216/.258/.359 batting line over a total of 167 plate appearances during the regular season. But with these O’s, we’ve come to expect the unexpected.
Flaherty launched a solo shot to the right field porch at Yankee Stadium in the third inning of this ALDS Game 3, providing Baltimore with a sudden 1-0 advantage. It was the first home run of the series for the Orioles, and the first postseason dinger for the franchise since Eric Davis went yard in October ’97.
The Yankees battled back in the bottom of the third inning, with Derek Jeter launching an RBI triple over the head of Orioles center fielder Adam Jones following a Russell Martin double. Jones took a bad — and somewhat lackadaisical – route to the ball while blowing a bubble with his chewing gum.
The big crowd in The Bronx was quiet in the early going but has now come alive. This series is tied 1-1.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte