Oct 10, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
Orioles utilityman Ryan Flaherty registered a weak .216/.258/.359 batting line over a total of 167 plate appearances during the regular season. But with these O’s, we’ve come to expect the unexpected.
Flaherty launched a solo shot to the right field porch at Yankee Stadium in the third inning of this ALDS Game 3, providing Baltimore with a sudden 1-0 advantage. It was the first home run of the series for the Orioles, and the first postseason dinger for the franchise since Eric Davis went yard in October ’97.
The Yankees battled back in the bottom of the third inning, with Derek Jeter launching an RBI triple over the head of Orioles center fielder Adam Jones following a Russell Martin double. Jones took a bad — and somewhat lackadaisical — route to the ball while blowing a bubble with his chewing gum.
The big crowd in The Bronx was quiet in the early going but has now come alive. This series is tied 1-1.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)