Oct 10, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
Orioles utilityman Ryan Flaherty registered a weak .216/.258/.359 batting line over a total of 167 plate appearances during the regular season. But with these O’s, we’ve come to expect the unexpected.
Flaherty launched a solo shot to the right field porch at Yankee Stadium in the third inning of this ALDS Game 3, providing Baltimore with a sudden 1-0 advantage. It was the first home run of the series for the Orioles, and the first postseason dinger for the franchise since Eric Davis went yard in October ’97.
The Yankees battled back in the bottom of the third inning, with Derek Jeter launching an RBI triple over the head of Orioles center fielder Adam Jones following a Russell Martin double. Jones took a bad — and somewhat lackadaisical — route to the ball while blowing a bubble with his chewing gum.
The big crowd in The Bronx was quiet in the early going but has now come alive. This series is tied 1-1.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 44
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)