Oct 10, 2012, 11:24 PM EST
Raul Ibanez is your latest Yankees playoff hero.
The 40-year-old hit a pinch-hit game-tying solo shot in the bottom of the ninth inning, then launched another solo homer in the bottom of the 12th as New York rallied back to defeat Baltimore by a score of 3-2 in Game 3 of the ALDS on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. The Bombers now lead the series 2-1.
“I’m blessed to have the opportunity to come up like that,” Ibanez told Craig Sager of TBS in a quick postgame interview. “I’m a blessed man. I’m a blessed man. I get to play for the Yankees.”
The heroics from Ibanez spoiled a superb start by Orioles right-hander Miguel Gonzalez, who allowed just one run on five hits over seven impressive innings while fanning eight and issuing no walks. It was his third straight dominant outing in The Bronx.
Yankees starter Hiroki Kuroda was impressive in his own right, going 8 1/3 frames before being lifted for Boone Logan in the top of the ninth. The New York bullpen would shut out the O’s the rest of the way.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)