Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has struggled mightily in this ALDS against the O’s, managing just one hit while fanning seven times in 13 plate appearances. So Yankees manager Joe Girardi finally decided to take action in the ninth inning of Game 3 on Wednesday night.
Raul Ibanez entered as a pinch-hitter in A-Rod’s spot with the Yankees trailing the Orioles 2-1 and promptly swatted a game-tying solo home run to right field. The dinger sent a charge through Yankee Stadium and pushed Game 3 into extra innings.
Rodriguez was the first to greet Ibanez when he returned to the dugout and the two exchanged a double high five. The Orioles were just retired in the top of the 10th inning, so the Yanks now have a chance to win it.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)