Oct 10, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
That 1PM start time for today’s Nats-Cards game continues to exact a heavy price from innocent victims in our nation’s capital:
Massive crowds are expected to descend on the Navy Yard area Wednesday for the first playoff game at Nationals Park, but the big problems could begin after the final out.
The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m., which means that tens of thousands of baseball fans will be flooding Metro and the roads to head home after it ends just as the evening commute gets underway.
That’s funny. I was told yesterday that tens of thousands would be unable to make it due to Major League Baseball’s draconian scheduling and employers’ Scrooge-like unwillingness to unchain workers to attend the game. Huh. In any event, thoughts and prayers to Washingtonians. Who have never had to deal with massive crowds descending on the city before.
OK, I’ll take my troll cap off for one minute and make an observation in all seriousness: as I mentioned after I went to Nats Park back in August, that Metro Station gets overrun when there are big crowds. While there will be more trains running when today’s game ends than there usually are after Nats games thanks to it being a weekday rush hour, it’s still likely to cause a mess.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)