Oct 10, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
That 1PM start time for today’s Nats-Cards game continues to exact a heavy price from innocent victims in our nation’s capital:
Massive crowds are expected to descend on the Navy Yard area Wednesday for the first playoff game at Nationals Park, but the big problems could begin after the final out.
The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m., which means that tens of thousands of baseball fans will be flooding Metro and the roads to head home after it ends just as the evening commute gets underway.
That’s funny. I was told yesterday that tens of thousands would be unable to make it due to Major League Baseball’s draconian scheduling and employers’ Scrooge-like unwillingness to unchain workers to attend the game. Huh. In any event, thoughts and prayers to Washingtonians. Who have never had to deal with massive crowds descending on the city before.
OK, I’ll take my troll cap off for one minute and make an observation in all seriousness: as I mentioned after I went to Nats Park back in August, that Metro Station gets overrun when there are big crowds. While there will be more trains running when today’s game ends than there usually are after Nats games thanks to it being a weekday rush hour, it’s still likely to cause a mess.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)