Oct 11, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that cell phone and data service is godawful in Great American Ballpark:
Thousands of fans who have attended Great American Ball Park and watched the games from next-door bars and restaurants have been unable to send text messages, email photos, post to Facebook and access the Internet during the Reds’ postseason games.
They aren’t alone. Residents of nearby apartments also have been experiencing mobile network access problems that may only get worse if the Reds advance deeper into the postseason.
As someone who takes in a fair amount of games at that park, I can attest to these problems. I know all parks have some connectivity issues, but I’ve never seen worse than I’ve seen in Cincinnati. It’s almost impossible to get a signal when there is even a halfway decent crowd in the joint.
Which, as they say, is a First World Problem. Maybe not for doctors or people on call for emergencies — and the article does quote one such person, and for him I do have sympathy for her — but for the folks who jut want to text, post pictures and gab, it’s one of those things that not a lot of people in the world are going to have a ton of sympathy for.
Oh well, maybe it’ll be different for today’s game. According to StubHub, there are still a few thousand seats available, so fewer people will be fighting for bandwidth …
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)