Oct 11, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that cell phone and data service is godawful in Great American Ballpark:
Thousands of fans who have attended Great American Ball Park and watched the games from next-door bars and restaurants have been unable to send text messages, email photos, post to Facebook and access the Internet during the Reds’ postseason games.
They aren’t alone. Residents of nearby apartments also have been experiencing mobile network access problems that may only get worse if the Reds advance deeper into the postseason.
As someone who takes in a fair amount of games at that park, I can attest to these problems. I know all parks have some connectivity issues, but I’ve never seen worse than I’ve seen in Cincinnati. It’s almost impossible to get a signal when there is even a halfway decent crowd in the joint.
Which, as they say, is a First World Problem. Maybe not for doctors or people on call for emergencies — and the article does quote one such person, and for him I do have sympathy for her — but for the folks who jut want to text, post pictures and gab, it’s one of those things that not a lot of people in the world are going to have a ton of sympathy for.
Oh well, maybe it’ll be different for today’s game. According to StubHub, there are still a few thousand seats available, so fewer people will be fighting for bandwidth …
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 122
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 5
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (124)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)