Oct 11, 2012, 10:04 AM EST
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that cell phone and data service is godawful in Great American Ballpark:
Thousands of fans who have attended Great American Ball Park and watched the games from next-door bars and restaurants have been unable to send text messages, email photos, post to Facebook and access the Internet during the Reds’ postseason games.
They aren’t alone. Residents of nearby apartments also have been experiencing mobile network access problems that may only get worse if the Reds advance deeper into the postseason.
As someone who takes in a fair amount of games at that park, I can attest to these problems. I know all parks have some connectivity issues, but I’ve never seen worse than I’ve seen in Cincinnati. It’s almost impossible to get a signal when there is even a halfway decent crowd in the joint.
Which, as they say, is a First World Problem. Maybe not for doctors or people on call for emergencies — and the article does quote one such person, and for him I do have sympathy for her — but for the folks who jut want to text, post pictures and gab, it’s one of those things that not a lot of people in the world are going to have a ton of sympathy for.
Oh well, maybe it’ll be different for today’s game. According to StubHub, there are still a few thousand seats available, so fewer people will be fighting for bandwidth …
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)