Oct 11, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
I realize that you can’t write the story of last night’s Yankees game without noting that Joe Girardi made the ballsy decision to pinch hit Raul Ibanez for the struggling Alex Rodriguez. That’s the kind of thing we’ll be talking about for decades, I reckon. It’s news, and of course you have to talk about it.
But is piling on A-Rod really the way to lead it? Are his failures, as opposed to Raul Ibanez’s heroics, really the first thing that should come out of your mouth, figuratively speaking, when talking about last night’s game? If you’re the New York Post and the Daily News, yes, yes it is:
Call me crazy, but you’d think the swipe at Rodriguez could wait until the second paragraph, not the headline.
And yes, I realize that saying such things about the New York tabloids is about as pointless an exercise in the world. It’s like complaining about the sky being blue or a zebra having stripes. The very question I’m posing here is rather nonsensical given who we’re talking about.
(Thanks to Jimmy Traina for the heads up)
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)