Great Moments in Tabloid Headlines

Oct 11, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT

I realize that you can’t write the story of last night’s Yankees game without noting that Joe Girardi made the ballsy decision to pinch hit Raul Ibanez for the struggling Alex Rodriguez.  That’s the kind of thing we’ll be talking about for decades, I reckon. It’s news, and of course you have to talk about it.

But is piling on A-Rod really the way to lead it? Are his failures, as opposed to Raul Ibanez’s heroics, really the first thing that should come out of your mouth, figuratively speaking, when talking about last night’s game?  If you’re the New York Post and the Daily News, yes, yes it is:

source:

Call me crazy, but you’d think the swipe at Rodriguez could wait until the second paragraph, not the headline.

And yes, I realize that saying such things about the New York tabloids is about as pointless an exercise in the world. It’s like complaining about the sky being blue or a zebra having stripes. The very question I’m posing here is rather nonsensical given who we’re talking about.

(Thanks to Jimmy Traina for the heads up)

1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Pretty much sums it up when two of the three major papers in NY are, and rightfully so, considered tabloids. Still don’t understand why people both reading those rags?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Sigh, bother, not both. EDIT FUNCTION

• hconnor2001 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Like the first post. PROOFREAD. :-)

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

No one ever got poor from appealing to the lowest common denominator in our country.

Poor A-rod. Did I just say that? Yeah. No matter what he does, it’s not going to ever be good enough. I mean I feel as bad as I can feel for a multi-millionaire with the body of an Adonis who is single living in NYC.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

It’s not unique to one country, it happens pretty much everywhere in the world.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

But knowing our great nation, we probably do it better than anyone else, ’cause we do everything bigger, better, and larger with more explosions. USA! USA! :-)

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

True, and I understand why they, the newspapers, do it. I just don’t understand why people read it? It’d be one thing if the NYP/DN had Shakespeare, Hemingway, Virgil and Dante on their writing staff, but they have the complete opposite. Bad writers with terrible writing, analysis and trolling comprise those papers.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I hear you. I don’t understand why people watch something called Honey Boo Boo either, but there you go.

Maybe people read it to feel better about themselves? I may be some poor schmoe riding the subway to my minimum wage job at the Starbucks serving overpriced grande-mocha-cocoa-cappuccinos to pampered yuppies, but at least I can write better than Mike Lupica?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I think the fact that these people are flawed, mediocre, untalented dimwits is what attracts them.

They identify with them. It convinces them that hey, even a flawed, mediocre, untalented dimwit can get ahead in life, he’s my kind of guy. Stick it to those uppity educated talented people who think they’re hot stuff because, never mind the fact that said people put in the hours and effort to leverage their talent and become educated professional people, good at what they do which is reflected in the quality of their work.

This phenomenon also explains elections BTW.

• pinkfloydprism - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

So, since Raul pinch hit for A-Rod, does that mean he was batting in the A-Hole?

2. bravojawja - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The only people who will be talking about this for decades are Yankee fans (and maybe O’s fans). No one else will remember until it’s brought up by every baseball writer in columns leading up to A-Rod’s HOF induction.

• pdowdy83 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I’m not a Yankees or O’s fan and I was talking about it with a guy at my work. I give Girardi credit for making the move. Even if it didn’t pay off it was still the right move in the situation.

• bravojawja - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Will you still be talking about it tomorrow? Or years later? Sure, it’s one of the big stories of today, but only Yankee fans will remember or care about The Legend of Raul Ibanez. Or will it be called The Pinch Hitting for Alex Rodriguez?

3. crispybasil - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Honestly, both headlines are pretty tame compared to what I expected. What bothers me is that both headlines should end with question marks, not exclamation points.

• jamessmyth621 - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

No, they’re just saying that Abbott & Costello’s first baseman needs an Inanimate Carbon Rod

• adamkuiken - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

they are rhetorical questions

4. dwrek5 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

A-WHO is half way witty. The 1st headline pretty much says we are going to make no attempt to relish this important win and great moment(s), we gots some A Rod bashing to do!

5. sdelmonte - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

In all fairness, the front page of the Post says “Rah Rah Raul” and doesn’t mention A-Rod.

But, yeah. I keep thinking of the scene in Galaxy Quest where Alan Rickman’s character saves a room of aliens, and enters only to here plaudits for Tim Allen’s character. Only this is the bizarro version. Our hero saves the day, and all anyone can do is blame someone else.

No matter. History will remember Raul’s amazing feat above all else.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM

That movie is SO good.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Galaxy Quest is one of my favorite movies too. Alan Rickman was so good as pseudo-Spock.

6. Carl Hancock - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Just think, the Yankees have 5 more years of Alex Rodriguez to look forward to and NOBODY would take his contract off their hands.

He looks like an aging veteran nearing the end and yet he’s only halfway into the contract they signed in 2007. Unreal.

The Angels need to pay attention. They’ll be in the exact same position with Albert Pujols before they know it.

Things a only going to get uglier for both teams. These contracts were absurd from the beginning.

• 18thstreet - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

The Dodgers will take him.

7. steeler999 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

While it certainly seems like Arod is a shell of his former self, the piling on gets a little old. I am no Arod fan. I personally think he’s done & will never be anything close to what he was. But let’s not forget, no one made the Yankees pay the absurd contract for Rodriguez. Who, besides the Yankees, thought it was a good idea to re-sign him for that amount of money?

• ugglasforearms - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Scott Boras.

8. Lukehart80 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Craig, I’m not sure how someone who spends as much time trolling fans as you do (and takes such pleasure in it) can question the NYC rags for their headlines.

Personally, my headline would have been “Yankees saved by awful player because there is no God.”

9. djeter220 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I’m pretty disgusted by this. As if A-Rod somehow isn’t a part of the team and he wasn’t included in the group of guys who said it was one of the best games they’ve been a part of. Half of the Yankees fan base are more caught up in their hate boner for Alex than their team winning.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Only half? I think you underestimate the hate-boner* they have for the guy, even after he carried the team to the postseason in ’07 with that monster year, and practically won the postseason in ’09 with his 9th inning heroics.

*definitely stealing this phrase btw.

10. jayscarpa - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Those were the back covers. Show the front covers.

• jayscarpa - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I’m not good at posting pictures but here is the link.

Towards the bottom.

Back covers are the usual the domain of sports in these two papers. Occasionally when something extraordinary happens the sports story also gets the front page, as it did this morning. To say that the papers ‘lead with piling on’ ARod is just wrong. They celebrated Raul on the front covers and A-Rod got relegated to the back.

Those papers can be outrageous and even vicious at times but I think you (Craig) jumped the gun on this one because of your own expectations.

11. IdahoMariner - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Given my name, it might not surprise anyone that I am not a huge fan of any Yankee, and I certainly don’t have any patience for A-Rod’s complete self-absorption off the field (I think that photo spread where he kissed himself in the mirror was my “favorite”), I don’t know how he doesn’t get credit for being one of the greatest players ever, or how he is mis-perceived as being bad in the post-season (historically. Clearly this year so far he’s having troubles). Joe Torre saying he bumped him to 8th because A-Rod is only a about individual stats (even if he is, um, his individual stats help you WIN, but whatever) and New York media/fans who bag on him for on-field performance are goofy. Off the field…yeah, he’s something else. But as Dave Cameron helpfully explicated a couple of days ago, even Jeter hasn’t been as “clutch” as A-Rod in the postseason.

And, yeah, I don’t know how the stars aligned for me to be defending a Yankee. I blame Ichiro and Raul, two of my favorite ex-Mariners who I want to see have fun at the World Series.

• jayscarpa - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I think of Seattle and I think of the 1995 LDS. What an exciting series. Didn’t ARod score the tying run for Seattle as a pinch runner – for Tino Martinez? It also got Showalter fired.

12. Old Gator - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

You called it this morning, Craigster! Ship that man a 50th-anniversary edition special boxed set of Ouija Scrabble!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3548)