Oct 11, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
I watched Jeff Kent on “Survivor” last night so you didn’t have to …
• As hinted at last week Kent aligned himself with tribe-mate Jonathan, who has possession of the hidden immunity idol. And they also brought in a third tribe-mate, Carter, in order to have a stronger alliance with more voting power. Or as Kent put it: “I can control some people.”
• During the weekly immunity challenge Kent came through in the clutch again, this time smashing pots that were perched atop columns by throwing “wrecking balls” tied to a rope. It wasn’t totally unlike the throwing motion used to underhand a double-play ball to a shortstop, at least if you’re like me and need to equate everything he does to baseball in order to make yourself feel better about watching the show.
• As the immunity challenge wound down Kent and a contestant from another tribe, Malcolm, were basically neck and neck hurriedly swinging their wrecking balls. Kent smashed his final pot before Malcolm, allowing his tribe to finish in second place and avoid having to boot someone.
• On the “next time on ‘Survivor’ …” preview Kent was shown rubbing his injured knee, which has a brace on it. And then the footage cut to a medical boat coming to the island and showed several contestants making “wow” faces while harrowing music played, followed by host Jeff Probst saying, “The only time medical gets involved is when someone’s life is in danger.”
• So based on all of that, I guess we’re meant to believe that Kent’s knee injury, which he suffered five minutes into the first episode and had seemingly ceased being a storyline, has now put his life in danger. Or, more likely, that’s the only thing the “Survivor” producers could think of to hype next week’s show.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)