Oct 11, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Gwen Knapp has a good story up at Sports on Earth about the scene in Oakland. Where, if all you’ve seen about it in the past couple of regular seasons, you may be surprised to learn can really rock when the A’s are playing well.
And the fans are passionate too. Maybe too passionate. Like, when Josh Reddick is involved:
“He threw wads of his bubble gum up into the stands tonight,” said Mike Liedtke, 51 and a longtime right-field denizen. “These two guys caught them, and without hesitation, they put them right into their mouth. That’s a real bond.”
So, yeah, that’s … special.
We can look past it, though. It’s just cool to see Atheltics fans, who have been jerked around like nobody’s business these past few years, enjoying themselves.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 54
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)