Oct 11, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Gwen Knapp has a good story up at Sports on Earth about the scene in Oakland. Where, if all you’ve seen about it in the past couple of regular seasons, you may be surprised to learn can really rock when the A’s are playing well.
And the fans are passionate too. Maybe too passionate. Like, when Josh Reddick is involved:
“He threw wads of his bubble gum up into the stands tonight,” said Mike Liedtke, 51 and a longtime right-field denizen. “These two guys caught them, and without hesitation, they put them right into their mouth. That’s a real bond.”
So, yeah, that’s … special.
We can look past it, though. It’s just cool to see Atheltics fans, who have been jerked around like nobody’s business these past few years, enjoying themselves.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)