Josh Reddick’s fans: kinda gross

Oct 11, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT

Division Series - Detroit Tigers v Oakland Athletics - Game Four Getty Images

Gwen Knapp has a good story up at Sports on Earth about the scene in Oakland. Where, if all you’ve seen about it in the past couple of regular seasons, you may be surprised to learn can really rock when the A’s are playing well.

And the fans are passionate too. Maybe too passionate. Like, when Josh Reddick is involved:

“He threw wads of his bubble gum up into the stands tonight,” said Mike Liedtke, 51 and a longtime right-field denizen. “These two guys caught them, and without hesitation, they put them right into their mouth. That’s a real bond.”

So, yeah, that’s … special.

We can look past it, though. It’s just cool to see Atheltics fans, who have been jerked around like nobody’s business these past few years, enjoying themselves.

1. goskinsvt - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM

good old ‘Jish’ Reddick.

2. scoser - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

From the typos in Craig’s writeup, I have to assume there’s a playoffs drinking game going on between the HBT staff.

3. APBA Guy - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Well, why am I not surprised?

I had the pleasure of sitting one section over from these guys a few weeks ago. Their enthusiasm is totally infectious. The best part about them is that they don’t care if there are only 10 other fans in the park, or 10,000, they come to rock. They aren’t scary or threatening, it’s all good fun.

Though maybe a little gross, yes.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Not only is their enthusiasm infectious, but probably their mouths are as well. I love my team, but trading spit is where I draw the line.

On the plus side, it is nice to see O.Co rock. To think, the A’s were one of the two teams labeled for contraction. Contract my ass.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Come on Inda. Be honest. Tell me you wouldn’t trade spit with Evan Longoria.

• eastcoastcynic - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Eva Longoria:)

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Hell, I think half the men on this board would. It’s Evan Effin’ Longoria.

I ain’t no baseball groupie. I love and respect the game, but that’s it.

(I apologize if this double posts. I’m having some ‘puter issues.)

4. deathmonkey41 - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I hope he had festering open sores in his mouth.

• fellspointbird - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Oozing pustulars?

5. adeedothatswho - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I have to go vomit now. Only in Oakland…..

6. geoknows - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Yeek. I won’t even put my OWN gum back into my mouth.

7. townballblog - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I’m sorry but these fans are not passionate, they are fair-weather fans. Where were they when the team was losing last year? They only show up when they are winning and that is the opposite of passionate.

> >

• COTorrey - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM

THANK YOU! someone had to say it…..

• bayarea510 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

You can blast all the other A’s fans for being fair-weather but these guys in Right Field bleachers are hard core A’s fans. They have been there for every home game this year. Most of the year it was only a group of 10-15 of them in the entire right bleachers screaming their heads off. They are pretty awesome. The A’s Wives have even left the family section and joined them in the bleachers to watch the game with them.

• townballblog - Oct 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Fair enough. This is true, I will give you that.

8. Phillies Homer - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

And here I thought I was gross for wanting Chase Utley to take me up the @$$… man, these guys are weirdos!!!!

9. killacowboy - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:21 AM

A’s SUCK BALLS!!!!……. Go Angels!!!!!!!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3437)