Oct 11, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
Gwen Knapp has a good story up at Sports on Earth about the scene in Oakland. Where, if all you’ve seen about it in the past couple of regular seasons, you may be surprised to learn can really rock when the A’s are playing well.
And the fans are passionate too. Maybe too passionate. Like, when Josh Reddick is involved:
“He threw wads of his bubble gum up into the stands tonight,” said Mike Liedtke, 51 and a longtime right-field denizen. “These two guys caught them, and without hesitation, they put them right into their mouth. That’s a real bond.”
So, yeah, that’s … special.
We can look past it, though. It’s just cool to see Atheltics fans, who have been jerked around like nobody’s business these past few years, enjoying themselves.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)