Oct 11, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, X-rays on Chamberlain’s elbow came back negative. The Yankees are calling it a right elbow contusion for now and he’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow.
11:28 PM ET: Joba Chamberlain was forced to exit Game 4 of the ALDS against the Orioles in the top of the 12th inning tonight after he was hit in the right elbow by a piece of a broken bat.
Matt Wieters broke his bat when he punched a leadoff single into shallow left field. The head of the bat flew in the direction of Chamberlain, who was caught off guard. He threw a few warm-up pitches in attempt to stay in the game, but the Yankees decided to play things safe and bring him out. David Phelps replaced him and is trying to keep the game tied at 1-1.
Of course, Chamberlain didn’t make his season debut this year until August 1 following Tommy John surgery and an ankle dislocation. This just hasn’t been his year.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 30
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 9
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 40
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (109)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save