Oct 11, 2012, 11:43 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, X-rays on Chamberlain’s elbow came back negative. The Yankees are calling it a right elbow contusion for now and he’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow.
11:28 PM ET: Joba Chamberlain was forced to exit Game 4 of the ALDS against the Orioles in the top of the 12th inning tonight after he was hit in the right elbow by a piece of a broken bat.
Matt Wieters broke his bat when he punched a leadoff single into shallow left field. The head of the bat flew in the direction of Chamberlain, who was caught off guard. He threw a few warm-up pitches in attempt to stay in the game, but the Yankees decided to play things safe and bring him out. David Phelps replaced him and is trying to keep the game tied at 1-1.
Of course, Chamberlain didn’t make his season debut this year until August 1 following Tommy John surgery and an ankle dislocation. This just hasn’t been his year.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 0
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 31
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 12
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 133
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (134)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)