Oct 11, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, X-rays on Chamberlain’s elbow came back negative. The Yankees are calling it a right elbow contusion for now and he’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow.
11:28 PM ET: Joba Chamberlain was forced to exit Game 4 of the ALDS against the Orioles in the top of the 12th inning tonight after he was hit in the right elbow by a piece of a broken bat.
Matt Wieters broke his bat when he punched a leadoff single into shallow left field. The head of the bat flew in the direction of Chamberlain, who was caught off guard. He threw a few warm-up pitches in attempt to stay in the game, but the Yankees decided to play things safe and bring him out. David Phelps replaced him and is trying to keep the game tied at 1-1.
Of course, Chamberlain didn’t make his season debut this year until August 1 following Tommy John surgery and an ankle dislocation. This just hasn’t been his year.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)