Oct 11, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
Sad news, as the Yankees announced that Joe Girardi’s father, Jerry Girardi, passed away at 81.
Girardi will manage tonight’s game against the Orioles and revealed during his pregame media session that his father died Saturday, but he didn’t say anything until now.
Jerry Girardi was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease several years ago and was living in an assisted-care facility in Illinois.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote a nice article about the relationship between Girardi and his father a few years ago that’s certainly worth reading in light of today’s news.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)