Oct 11, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
Sad news, as the Yankees announced that Joe Girardi’s father, Jerry Girardi, passed away at 81.
Girardi will manage tonight’s game against the Orioles and revealed during his pregame media session that his father died Saturday, but he didn’t say anything until now.
Jerry Girardi was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease several years ago and was living in an assisted-care facility in Illinois.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote a nice article about the relationship between Girardi and his father a few years ago that’s certainly worth reading in light of today’s news.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)