Oct 11, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
Sad news, as the Yankees announced that Joe Girardi’s father, Jerry Girardi, passed away at 81.
Girardi will manage tonight’s game against the Orioles and revealed during his pregame media session that his father died Saturday, but he didn’t say anything until now.
Jerry Girardi was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease several years ago and was living in an assisted-care facility in Illinois.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote a nice article about the relationship between Girardi and his father a few years ago that’s certainly worth reading in light of today’s news.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)