Oct 11, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
Sad news, as the Yankees announced that Joe Girardi’s father, Jerry Girardi, passed away at 81.
Girardi will manage tonight’s game against the Orioles and revealed during his pregame media session that his father died Saturday, but he didn’t say anything until now.
Jerry Girardi was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease several years ago and was living in an assisted-care facility in Illinois.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote a nice article about the relationship between Girardi and his father a few years ago that’s certainly worth reading in light of today’s news.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 44
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106