Oct 11, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT
Sad news, as the Yankees announced that Joe Girardi’s father, Jerry Girardi, passed away at 81.
Girardi will manage tonight’s game against the Orioles and revealed during his pregame media session that his father died Saturday, but he didn’t say anything until now.
Jerry Girardi was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease several years ago and was living in an assisted-care facility in Illinois.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote a nice article about the relationship between Girardi and his father a few years ago that’s certainly worth reading in light of today’s news.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)