Joe Girardi to manage tonight despite father’s death

Oct 11, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT

Joe Girardi AP

Sad news, as the Yankees announced that Joe Girardi’s father, Jerry Girardi, passed away at 81.

Girardi will manage tonight’s game against the Orioles and revealed during his pregame media session that his father died Saturday, but he didn’t say anything until now.

Jerry Girardi was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease several years ago and was living in an assisted-care facility in Illinois.

Bryan Hoch of MLB.com wrote a nice article about the relationship between Girardi and his father a few years ago that’s certainly worth reading in light of today’s news.

1. shaggylocks - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Wow, that’s awful. I hope Joe is making the best decision for himself: I couldn’t imagine carrying on with the game after something like that.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Everyone handles things like this differently. There isn’t any right or wrong way. Throwing himself into his work may be what he needs for himself.

• shaggylocks - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Right, which is why I hope he’s making the right decision for himself. Wishing him the best in this tough time.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Same here. It’s tough to lose a parent.

• buffalochris - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM

As a Team let’s put the “Bat Light” up over Manhattan and get the BATS out EARLY & OFTEN to secure this gentleman an extra day off to properly grieve with his family & friends! This one is for the Skipper!!!!

2. nmrdr795 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Sorry skip. Prayers are witb you and your family.

3. randygnyc - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I’m very sorry to hear this. RIP. Condolences to Joe and his family. Tough spot to be in.

4. randygnyc - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Apparently he was in his early 80′s and suffered from Alzheimer’s. He passed in Ohio and was NOT unexpected.

• daisycutter1 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Yup. I believe I first read about his father’s situation before Girardi became Yankee manager.

It doesn’t make the loss to the Girardi family any less significant, but – unfortunately – they had a lot of time to prepare for this day.

• jgostl - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

There was an article about this recently, I think in the New Yorker. I’ve been there. Right there. Yes, unexpected, but still tough. Joe is doing the right thing.

• jewels1972 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

He was 81 and had Alzheimers, but he did NOT pass in Ohio! He passed in a small town just outside of Peoria, Illinois, which is the hometown of the Girardis.

God Bless You all during this difficult time, Joe & family. You can rest assured your dad will be cheering you on from above!!

5. number42is1 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

WOW! this is just awful. he really should step aside for a few days to clear his head and take time for himself.

• deep64blue - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

It’s a tough one – we all deal with situations differently. My wife was involved in an auto wreck once – she went back to work the next day but I had to take time off as I couldn’t concentrate.

Whatever Giradi’s family and himself decide I think we all have to accept that.

• spudchukar - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Don’t know anything about Joe’s dad, but I bet he had a lot to teach the Yanks’ skipper about God’s game, and if he was anything like my dad, he would want him in the dugout tonight,

• mazblast - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It’s not the place of anyone except Joe to say what he should do. Each individual handles these things differently.

In his defense, though, let’s keep in mind that the death of a loved one who has had Alzheimers is different from that of most people. The body dies, but the mind is often long gone. The family has a long time–often too long–to wait for the body to follow the mind’s death.

6. mtygringo - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

This member of Red Sox Nation would like to send his heartfelt condolences to Joe and the rest of the Girardi family and extended family.

• sdelmonte - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM

As would this member of Metsland.

• roverboy1949 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM

And another Red Sox fan sends his condolences to Mr. Girardi and his family.

7. deathmonkey41 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

That sucks. Talk about a rollercoaster of emotion over the period of 24 hrs.

8. shaggylocks - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I never get the jackasses who give thumbs down to expressions of condolence.

• Gardenhire's Cat - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

People suck.

• pisano - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

shaggylocks…. The only thing you have to figure is their ignorant assholes.

• mazblast - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I agree, pisano. shaggylocks, don’t waste yor time trying to figure them out, as it isn’t worth it. Some people are lower than shark sh**.

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM

So glad that read figure and not finger as I initially read. It’s early.

• mtygringo - Oct 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Idiots hiding behind anonymity!

9. girardisbraces - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Not that any more impetus is needed, but his presence despite the awful news could be the additional spark needed to finish this series out and allow him the additional day off to grieve and say goodbye. A tough spot for him no matter what decision he makes, though.

I’m sure all baseball players and fans are united in their thoughts/prayers for Joe during this difficult time (expected or not, it’s still a terrible loss.)

10. cur68 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Sorry about your loss, Joe. Good luck tonight.

11. yankeesgameday - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Oh man. I literally just left the skilled nursing home I am sending my father to this afternoon and absentmindedly clicked my Google reader to check out hbt as a way to decompress and reality found its way here as well. I will be thinking about Joe tonight, his father, my father, and the inevitabity of it for all of us.go get em Joe.

12. madhatternalice - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

According to the Yankees twitter feed, he actually passed a few days ago:

@Yankees: The Yankees mourn the pass of Jerry Girardi at age 81. Girardi, the father of Yankees manager Joe Girardi, passed away on Saturday, Oct. 6.

• jewels1972 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Yes, that is true. He died Saturday, October 6th.

13. stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I can’t imagine. Sorry to hear this. Stay strong Joe. My prayers are with you and your family.

14. moagecu - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

HBT you too? Of course he’s going to manage. He has managed 3 games since his father passed. The timing of this news is a little sketchy. Media just happens to throw this out hours before game 4 of the ALDS.

• thebadguyswon - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Yeah really. Happens Saturday and is spun by the media.

15. seahawks80 - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM

You have to be a real douchbag to give a thumbs down to someone giving their coldolences when something like this happens.

**go ahead and give a thumbs down to this comment if it makes you feel better**

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act