Jon Hamm and Jennifer Westfeldt hate the intentional walk

Oct 11, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT

64th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

“Mad Men” star Jon Hamm and his longtime girlfriend, actor/director Jennifer Westfeldt, did an interview with Vulture that quickly turned to baseball talk and this excerpt about the intentional walk amused me:

Westfeldt: Don’t get me started on the walking. I became very angry last year. The walking editorial I wanted to write …

Hamm: Jen wanted to write an editorial about the intentional walk.

Westfeldt: I hate the intentional walk. It makes me furious.

Westfeldt: It’s just bulls***.

Hamm: Play the game.

Hamm is a hardcore St. Louis Cardinals fan and there’s also some Albert Pujols talk in the interview.

More importantly, if Hamm or Westfeldt or anyone who knows them is reading this right now: I think NBCSports.com would be a fantastic platform for a good screed against the intentional walk.

You write it, we’ll run it. Just let me know.

1. elmaquino - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Being both a Pujols fan and an intentional walk hater is not a coincidence.

2. cur68 - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Bunting, too. Bunting sucks. Most small ball sucks. Don’t forget to include that in your anti IBB screed.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Cur: With all due respect (and I respect you very much)…your feelings on bunting and small ball suck.

• cur68 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I dig chicks that dig the long ball.

3. colehamelz - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Why waste 4 pitches and everybody’s time, when you can just plant one between the guy’s numbers?

• gerryb323 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

So 3 pitches, but yeah, I actually agree in theory. Hit him with a nice little change-up in the be-hind. Save the arm.

4. skids003 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

They are “celebrities.” Who cares what they think?

• atom55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM

…says the man who clicked on the link to read the story about what celebrities thought of the intentional walk.

• Max Power - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I think most of us are here for the hunky Don Draper pics.

• El Bravo - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM

THAT’S WHY WE PAY YOU MONEY!

• eastcoastcynic - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I’m holding out for a baseball opinion of Christina Hendricks with some volumptuos head to toe pics.

• Tim OShenko - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

We’re anonymous commentors on a baseball blog. Who cares what we think?

5. icanspeel - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

My girlfriend hates it too and said it should be banned, so I tried to explain how someone will get walked if they really don’t want to pitch to them regardless. Long story short, I always seem to be wrong

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I agree with your girl. Pitchers can’t seem to re-find the strike zone after throwing four balls purposely out of the zone. How many times have you seen the bases loaded on an intentional walk, only to have the next player also walk? I don’t have any hard numbers on it (research project), but it seems to happen fairly frequently. Or maybe my memory bias makes me remember all those times it does happen.

6. hansob - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

we aren’t going to morph this into the ridiculous, Bonds-era “If you get walked on four pitches, you go to second base” arguements, are we?

• lazlosother - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Absolutely. And you should get to remove one infielders glove for the remainder of the inning.

• chadjones27 - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM

How about; if you walk the guy batting before the pitcher, then the pitcher automatically takes first base. I bet Tony LaRussa would have had his pitchers batter 5th.

7. beefytrout - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM

They may not have the entitlement issues that they claim yankees fans have, but they go out of their way to demonstrate the oversensitivity that many, many cardinals fans seem to have. My uncle and cousins have it – they are die hard cards fans. I witnessed it first hand in the stands during the WS last year. And now here are these two, getting angry over IBB’s to Pujols.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Pretty sure anyone who wants to see a great hitter hit…would get a little testy when said hitter is walked intentionally. That in mind…I wouldn’t pitch to Barry, Albert, Ted, any of them. Free passes.
      Take your base. Next batter please. I am very interested in your first hand account of what transpired in the WS last year. Seriously. I am curious. What happened?
      On a separate note: I bet those tickets were pricey.

• beefytrout - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Fair enough:

took my Dad to Game 3 and my best friend to Game 4. Game 3 was when pujols completely destroyed the ball, hitting 3 HRs. During Game 4, we sat next to a guy our age (around 30) who had flown down from MO to see the game with his toddler son. We’re all there well before game time, just chatting, enjoying the scenery, etc. The cards fan, obviously, was pretty happy about where things were at that point. His team is up 2-1 in the WS, and they’ve just come off an absolute demolition of the opposition the night before.

At one point, I casually mentioned how strange it was that the previous night, there was a substantial wind blowing out to LF (where we were sitting), but on this night, there was no wind whatsoever. I was merely pointing out how weird the noticeable difference was, from one game to the next.

The cards fans immediately got testy, and threw out “what are you trying to say?!? that pujols wouldn’t have hit 3 HR’s if he didn’t have the wind’s help?!?!?” Bear in mind: no one was talking about the events of Game 3 leading up to that. We were all just talking about being at the WS in general, how cool it was, how lucky we were, blah blah blah. The name “pujols” hadn’t even come up once. All I did was point out that the previous night had lots of wind, and that night didn’t. But to that cards fan, that was me ripping pujols.

Even still… his team was in the driver’s seat at that point. He had no reason to be sensitive about the way things were. Same with Hamm and Westfeldt. It’s almost a year later, their team won the damn championship, and they are still bitching about the way things went.

• beefytrout - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Also, that was just a singular example. Wasn’t just that one cards fan being that way during those games.

8. foreverchipper10 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I really need to start watching Mad Men don’t I?

9. kingvorp - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

no matter how many times i refresh, this headline never gets corrected to ‘Jon Hamm and Jennifer Westfeldt hate Intentional Talk,’ which I think we all agree on.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3508)