Oct 11, 2012, 12:04 AM EDT
Raul Ibanez will be the subject of tomorrow morning’s headlines, but Orioles starter Miguel Gonzalez owned the Yankees on Wednesday night. The rookie right-hander struck out eight and walked none in seven innings at Yankee Stadium. The one run he surrendered was the result of Adam Jones taking two steps in on a Derek Jeter “triple” that ended up over the center fielder’s head.
Gonzalez just doesn’t seem to understand the fact that Yankee Stadium is a difficult place to pitch. He’s made three starts there and gone 2-0 with a 2.18 ERA and a 25/1 K/BB ratio in 20 2/3 innings. It would have been 3-0 if Jim Johnson could have held the lead tonight.
The 28-year-old Gonzalez may well be the biggest surprise of all of the surprises on the Baltimore roster. A one-time Angels farmhand, he was selected by the Red Sox in the Dec. 2008 Rule 5 draft. He hurt his elbow the next spring, spent the entire 2009 season on the DL and then showed little in the Boston farm system the next two years. In 2011, he went 0-7 with a 5.40 ERA at three levels of the minors. The Orioles signed him last winter as a minor league free agent, and now he’s dominating the Yankees in the postseason. It’s a funny game, that’s for sure.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)