Montreal to name a street and a park after Gary Carter

Oct 11, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Gary Carter Reuters

Baseball is gone from Montreal, but baseball memories are not:

Montreal will name a street and a park after Gary Carter, the Hall of Fame catcher who defined the golden era of a once-beloved franchise … The street borders Jarry Park, where the Expos played for most of their first decade and where Carter made his big-league debut. There will also be a park in the north-end Ahuntsic district named after him.

Nice to see. His contributions were so great.  He played some good baseball too.

1. cur68 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

He played some great baseball, in fact. Next time I’m thataway, I’m getting my picture taken at that street and park. I miss that guy, just like I miss my old team.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I feel for you Cur. Great gesture nonetheless.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Very cool. I have fond memories of him too, when he was a Mutt. 1985, Opening Day, his NY debut. I should have been in school, but priorities. Cards vs. Mutts. The Kid was having a bad day until he hit a walk-off homer to win the game 6-5. My voice was hoarse for a couple of days from chanting “Ga-ree, Ga-ree” from my seat all the way to the subway platform.

Take a picture of the street sign and show it to us.

2. bennyandthemets - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Great gesture by the city of Montreal! “The Kid’s” legacy will live on forever!

3. bobwheel - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Well done, Montreal. I was surprised to see that Jarry Park is still standing. Saw my first Expos game there in May, 1972, vs the Giants, on the day Willie Mays was traded to the Mets. A fitting honor for gary Carter.

• sdelmonte - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I Wiki’d for it, and Jarry Park refers to a public park which was where Jarry Park Stadium stood. Remnants of the ballpark make up the core of a tennis stadium but there is no longer baseball to be played there.

4. bobwheel - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Correction – Gary Carter.

5. mybrunoblog - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Great move by the city fathers in Montreal. Interesting note. I recently read that they sell more Expos memoribilia (t-shirts, hats, jerseys etc.) now than they did while the team was still playing in Canada. Just goes to show. Don’t know what you got till its gone.

• kopy - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM

This Minnesota North Stars fan agrees.

• theawesomersfranchise - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Terrible stadium + Terrible location + 70 cents on the dollar + strike + Bud + Jeff = No chance

• DJ MC - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Worst. Math equation. Ever.

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM

As a Braves fan I wouldn’t mind owning an Expos hat.

6. slclions - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

The whole provinve of Quebec is still an Expos province. Loria stole the Expos from us…too bad MLB let it happen. At least things are going great for Loria in Miami. Oh and for one series LET’S GO CARDS

…yep still a tad bitter

• Old Gator - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Just a tad.

7. Old Gator - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Maybe they’d consider entombing Scrooge McLoria and son petit chien immonde in the concrete under the park someplace….aw, no, never mind. This is for the Kid. Scrooge and his little leg humper belong under a trestle abutment for an abandoned freight line in Ville St-Laurent or the east end.

8. missthemexpos - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

All the hype about playoff baseball back in Washington after decades, makes me wonder if I will still be around to see MLB back in Montreal some day. Oh well some great memories, as long as I don’t hear the name Rick Monday!

9. koufaxmitzvah - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Baseball lost its je ne sais quoi when it bolted from Montreal.

10. willclarkgameface - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Nice gesture. I’m not a fan of the Montreal Washington ExpoNationals right now, so whatevs.

Final take away from World Series