Oct 11, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
After failing to capitalize on early scoring threats against Phil Hughes, the Orioles have finally broken through against Phil Hughes. Nate McLouth led off the top of the fifth inning with a solo homer to right field to break a scoreless tie and give the Orioles a 1-0 lead.
Hughes issued leadoff walks in three out of the first four innings, but managed to wiggle out of trouble each time. The Orioles are an astounding 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position so far tonight.
The Yankees have also had their fair share of chances against Joe Saunders, the most prominent of which was when Jayson Nix led off the bottom of the third inning with a double. However, Saunders managed to strike out Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki and Mark Teixeira swinging. Yes, Joe Saunders actually did that.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 16
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29