NLDS Game 4 lineups: Cardinals vs. Nationals

Oct 11, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT

source: AP

Here are the lineups for Game 4 of the NLDS between the Cardinals and Nationals, in Washington:

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS            WASHINGTON NATIONALS
1. Jon Jay, CF                 1. Jayson Werth, RF
2. Carlos Beltran, RF          2. Bryce Harper, CF
3. Matt Holliday, LF           3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
4. Allen Craig, 1B             4. Adam LaRoche, 1B
5. Yadier Molina, C            5. Michael Morse, LF
6. David Freese, 3B            6. Ian Desmond, SS
7. Daniel Descalso, 2B         7. Danny Espinosa, 2B
8. Pete Kozma, SS              8. Kurt Suzuki, C
9. Kyle Lohse, RHP             9. Ross Detwiler, LHP

Mike Matheny has gone with the same starters versus righties and lefties this series, which means Nationals southpaw Ross Detwiler will face a lineup that includes only two lefty bats in leadoff man Jon Jay and seventh hitter Daniel Descalso. Detwiler was far worse against righties (.263 AVG, .734 OPS) than lefties (.170 AVG, .513 OPS) this season, so it’s a pretty tough matchup for him on paper.

Davey Johnson is sticking with his standard lineup, which has scored 3, 4, and 0 runs in the first three games of the series. During the regular season Washington had the third-best OPS in the league against right-handed pitching, including scoring 12 runs in 12 innings versus Cardinals starter Kyle Lohse, but through three playoff games the Nationals have hit just .234 with a .610 OPS off righties.

1. atom55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

In all fairness to Matheny, here are his other options at 2nd base:

1. Skip Schumaker? I guess?
    2. see #1

Skip Schumaker hit lefties at a Helen Keller like .158 clip. Also, he can’t actually play 2nd base.

2. nolanwiffle - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Detwiler? Has Strasburg taken his turn yet?

• 18thstreet - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM

He’s not on the roster. And you can only blame one loss on him. I would have started him in Game Two, and I haven’t complained about his absence ever since.

I’m incredibly annoyed at this genre on criticism. You can’t win when you score zero runs no matter who is starting.

• nolanwiffle - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Eh, it was just a joke…..of the “clueless/uninformed passerby” genre.

See: President Kennedy was shot? Was he hurt?

Evidently I’m the only one who found it even remotely amusing.

• 18thstreet - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM

My apologies. Really.

So many people have said what you did and weren’t joking.

3. natstowngreg - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I’ll be there, hoping the Nats do not go gentle into that good night.

• East Coast Raider - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I went yesterday, so today I’ll prop myself up on a barstool in Arlington and throw a few back. Have fun!

4. stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Let’s go team. Get it done today. Gio will NOT have two bad outings in a row.
    Get it wrapped up today so he isn’t given the chance.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey