Oh, I see “propose ridiculous trade season” has started early this year

Oct 11, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT

Normally it’s not until November when you see people proposing ridiculous trades that would benefit the team they root for or cover but which make no freaking sense whatsoever. Down in Dallas, that season has come early this year:

source:

It’s pretty bad when a glaring typo in the headline isn’t the worst thing about your story. And I’m a guy who knows from glaring headline typos.

Anyway, I agree. I think Jon Daniels should totally call the Rays and ask if they’d trade their Cy Young-caliber starter for a second baseman who is older than 30 and a pitching prospect who walks too many guys and has repeated every level of the minors in which he has been placed.*  I’m sure they won’t laugh his butt off the phone with that one, no siree.

*OK, I was too hasty with that comment. Perez has technically spent time in various minor league levels in multiple years, but it hasn’t been full seasons and it was more a function of his age — he has been younger than his leagues at each level — than it has been because of ineffectiveness, which is generally when the “he repeated his level” comments are applicable.  My bad.

Still, doesn’t make that trade proposal make any more sense, but no sense slagging on the guy like that.

1. indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA…. woooh! Good one, Sherrington. I’m sure Andrew Friedman is right on it. I mean, really, wtf? Couldn’t they throw in a couple of those Great Bratbinos to sweeten the deal?

• cur68 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Seriously. Hey, since they get to be all “considering” there perhaps we could do the same? How ’bout James Shields to the Beav for Rasmus and Kelly Johnson? Think your boys would go for that?

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Ummmmmm… no.

How about Joey Bats?

• cur68 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

For Maddon, Martinez, Longoria, Price, Shields, and Rodney? Sure.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Seriously, Joey B for Price, straight up. I’m salivating at the thought of a bat with that much potencia in our lineup. Price is young, cheap, and awesome. Kinda like, um, nevermind.

• cur68 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Price, Big Game James, Martinez and Upton for JB. Final offer. We’ll let you have Bieber as a bonus gift.

• indaburg - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Upton is a free agent, so you can just sign him. Throw in Ryan Gosling, and you’ve got yourself a deal. (Please take back Bieber. What did we ever do to you?)

• cur68 - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Look, how ’bout The Beav KEEP JB, you keep your guys and Bieber stays in Florida? I think thats fair.

• spudchukar - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Still hoping Avril and Celine come around Cur?

• deathmonkey41 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

IF they throw in David Murphy, it would be a done deal.

2. motherscratcher23 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

“I don’t see the problem. I think it’s a great trade.” – George Costanza

3. crispybasil - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

It’s ALWAYS “propose ridiculous trade” season here in Boston.

4. uuddlrlrbastart - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Remember when the Phillies were considering trading Ryan Howard for Albert Pujols? That’s still my favorite headline, it read as if the Cardinals had proposed the trade.

5. bennyandthemets - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

While we’re at it I hope the Mets call and offer Jason Bay and Bobby Bonilla’s deferred payments for David Price… -_-

6. beefytrout - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Read headline. Think to self “please don’t be about the Rangers, please don’t be about the Rangers.” Hang head in shame.

7. lazlosother - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

This is fun. How about NY trades Swisher’s expiring contract and Nix to the Angels for Trout?

8. geoknows - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

This was just published yesterday? I saw this suggestion earlier this week on a Rangers website. In all fairness, though, I believe they said Kinsler and Perez plus others. Still, though, the Rays ain’t gonna want Kinsler’s contract in a gazillion years.

9. southpaw2k - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Wait, wait, wait. We all KNOW “ridiculous trade proposal season” starts and ends with the Yankees. Why hasn’t some NY writer said the Yankees should consider trading Russell Martin and Eric Chavez for Jered Weaver or Justin Verlander?

10. vallewho - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

yeah. get on that.

11. dowhatifeellike - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM

How about Jim Thome and Joe Saunders for Miguel Cabrera? One future HOFer for another plus a lefty with playoff experience! How can you say no to that?

• psuravens19 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I was thinking, the O’s should package Manny and Gausman for Raul Freaking Ibanez… Man I really dislike him right now.

12. ericellers - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

It’s texAss , what do you really expect?

13. dannomac21 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

derek jeter to the brewers for braun, gallardo, and weeks. that way the brewers get the ss they need and can move segura to 2nd.

14. raysfan1 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Cur,
    No, no, no! I’ve told you repeatedly, Justin Beaver must stay north of the border. We’ll take Shania though.

15. millmannj - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

A columnist for the Philly Daily News the other day said the Phillies should trade for the Padres Chase Headley to solve their problem at 3B. Yeah, cause San Diego would just trade their best player because Philly has a need. Forget for a minute that the Phillies have absolutely nothing the Padres would want in return.

16. kevinbnyc - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM

#dogfister

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3477)