Oct 11, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Normally it’s not until November when you see people proposing ridiculous trades that would benefit the team they root for or cover but which make no freaking sense whatsoever. Down in Dallas, that season has come early this year:
It’s pretty bad when a glaring typo in the headline isn’t the worst thing about your story. And I’m a guy who knows from glaring headline typos.
Anyway, I agree. I think Jon Daniels should totally call the Rays and ask if they’d trade their Cy Young-caliber starter for a second baseman who is older than 30 and a pitching prospect who walks too many guys and has repeated every level of the minors in which he has been placed.* I’m sure they won’t laugh his butt off the phone with that one, no siree.
*OK, I was too hasty with that comment. Perez has technically spent time in various minor league levels in multiple years, but it hasn’t been full seasons and it was more a function of his age — he has been younger than his leagues at each level — than it has been because of ineffectiveness, which is generally when the “he repeated his level” comments are applicable. My bad.
Still, doesn’t make that trade proposal make any more sense, but no sense slagging on the guy like that.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 38
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)