Oct 11, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
Normally it’s not until November when you see people proposing ridiculous trades that would benefit the team they root for or cover but which make no freaking sense whatsoever. Down in Dallas, that season has come early this year:
It’s pretty bad when a glaring typo in the headline isn’t the worst thing about your story. And I’m a guy who knows from glaring headline typos.
Anyway, I agree. I think Jon Daniels should totally call the Rays and ask if they’d trade their Cy Young-caliber starter for a second baseman who is older than 30 and a pitching prospect who walks too many guys and has repeated every level of the minors in which he has been placed.* I’m sure they won’t laugh his butt off the phone with that one, no siree.
*OK, I was too hasty with that comment. Perez has technically spent time in various minor league levels in multiple years, but it hasn’t been full seasons and it was more a function of his age — he has been younger than his leagues at each level — than it has been because of ineffectiveness, which is generally when the “he repeated his level” comments are applicable. My bad.
Still, doesn’t make that trade proposal make any more sense, but no sense slagging on the guy like that.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 50
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)