Oct 11, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT
Based on how the comments around here have gone lately, I’m sure someone will soon chime in to say that USA Today’s Bob Nightengale made these quotes up and that the world is biased against the Nationals. But until then, let us marvel at what a rival general manager — or maybe two, it’s hard to tell based on how he attributes it — said about Mike Rizzo and the Nats after yesterday’s Nats loss:
“If we don’t win the World Series, I don’t care who does,” one general manager told USA TODAY Sports, “as long as it’s not those guys.
“They don’t deserve to win it. Not after what they did.”
Said a National League GM: “I hope they go down in flames. I hope it takes another 79 years before they get back to the playoffs. That’s how strongly I feel about it.”
The bile — which Nightengale says some other executives besides this one feel — is based on both the Strasburg shutdown, which apparently gave other execs the impression that Rizzo thought he was smarter than everyone else, and Rizzo’s statement after the Nationals clinched that there would be “a couple more” such division titles in the future.
It’s kind of crazy that someone would actually come out and say that. Especially the first part of the quote which, from context, is not the most anonymous quote in the world. Based on the “if we don’t win it” line, it seems that would have to be an NL GM whose team is still in the playoffs, right? Which means it was either the Giants Brian Sabean, the Reds Walt Jocketty or the Cardinals John Mozeliak. So which of them is throwing poop on Rizzo?
The playoffs, man. It makes folks crazy.
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 18
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 49
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1