Oct 11, 2012, 8:46 AM EST
Based on how the comments around here have gone lately, I’m sure someone will soon chime in to say that USA Today’s Bob Nightengale made these quotes up and that the world is biased against the Nationals. But until then, let us marvel at what a rival general manager — or maybe two, it’s hard to tell based on how he attributes it — said about Mike Rizzo and the Nats after yesterday’s Nats loss:
“If we don’t win the World Series, I don’t care who does,” one general manager told USA TODAY Sports, “as long as it’s not those guys.
“They don’t deserve to win it. Not after what they did.”
Said a National League GM: “I hope they go down in flames. I hope it takes another 79 years before they get back to the playoffs. That’s how strongly I feel about it.”
The bile — which Nightengale says some other executives besides this one feel — is based on both the Strasburg shutdown, which apparently gave other execs the impression that Rizzo thought he was smarter than everyone else, and Rizzo’s statement after the Nationals clinched that there would be “a couple more” such division titles in the future.
It’s kind of crazy that someone would actually come out and say that. Especially the first part of the quote which, from context, is not the most anonymous quote in the world. Based on the “if we don’t win it” line, it seems that would have to be an NL GM whose team is still in the playoffs, right? Which means it was either the Giants Brian Sabean, the Reds Walt Jocketty or the Cardinals John Mozeliak. So which of them is throwing poop on Rizzo?
The playoffs, man. It makes folks crazy.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)