Oct 11, 2012, 7:55 PM EDT
Plenty of writers have blasted the Nationals for shutting down Stephen Strasburg. Many of them were likely looking forward to doing it again if only his postseason rotation replacement, Ross Detwiler, would have obliged them by getting lit up and taking a loss as the Nationals were eliminated today.
Detwiler, of course, had other ideas. And it shouldn’t come as any big surprise that a guy with a 3.40 ERA during the regular season was able to hold down the Cardinals for six innings, even with the season on the line. There was perhaps some reason to be nervous; Detwiler hadn’t pitched in 12 days and his last outing, against these very same Cardinals, was probably his worst of the entire year.
Detwiler, though, came out with pretty good command Thursday and kept the Cardinals guessing by mixing up his pitches and changing speeds well. He allowed just three hits, all of which were singles. The only run he allowed came as the result of an error. That he struck out just two didn’t seem to matter.
It was a terrific outing, likely better than the one Strasburg would have turned in pitching in his place. As talented as Strasburg is, there’s a good chance he’d be wearing down had the Nationals allowed him to keep pitching. He may well have been even before he was shut down, as he struggled against the Marlins in two of his final three outings.
While it will continue to be debated in the weeks going forward, Detwiler did the best he could to render the Strasburg decision irrelevant. And hopefully he made a name for himself, too. Terming him a fourth starter doesn’t do him justice, and like Strasburg, he’ll be a part of more postseason rotations going forward.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)