Oct 11, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: And now Ryan Ludwick hits a big blast in the bottom of the sixth, making it 6-3 Giants. It may just be a ballgame yet.
2:54 PM: The Reds get two back in the bottom half of the inning on a Brandon Phillips double, so it’s now 6-2 Giants.
2: 36 PM: Mat Latos and Matt Cain dueled for four innings, but someone has finally broken through: the Giants. They have busted it wide open, thanks to a Mat Latos meltdown and then a Buster Posey grand slam. San Francisco leads it 6-0 in top of the fifth. And they’re still batting as this post goes live.
Gregor Blanco led off the inning with a single and scored when Brandon Crawford tripled to right. That was followed up with a Matt Cain grounder to the mound. Then Angel Pagan hit a bounder to Zach Cozart at short, who bobbled it, allowing Crawford to score on the error. A four pitch walk to Marco Scutaro followed, bringing Pablo Sandoval to the plate, who singled to left. Based loaded, one out.
Buster Posey then came up to the plate, took the count to 2-2 and then launched titanic blast to right field. 6-0 and a stone cold silent crowd in Cincinnati. MVP anyone?
Dusty Baker has gone in to make a pitching change. It is probably too little too late. Wow.
If the Giants hold on here, we’ll have some history. No NL team has ever lost a division series after winning the first two games and no team in either league has ever taken a 2-0 lead in a five-game series and lost the next three all at home.
But the Reds just might.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)