Oct 11, 2012, 9:32 PM EDT
The Orioles grabbed a 1-0 lead on a solo home run by Nate McLouth in the top of the fifth, but the Yankees drew even in the bottom of the sixth.
Derek Jeter led off the inning with a double to the right field corner and was bunted over to third base by Ichiro Suzuki. Joe Saunders then walked Mark Teixeira before inducing a grounder from Robinson Cano, but Ryan Flaherty was only able to make a play at first base. Jeter scored from third on the play to tie it up.
The Yankees had a chance for more, but Tommy Hunter was brought into the game to face Alex Rodriguez and struck him out swinging on a 97 mph heater to end the threat. We’re all tied up going into the top of the seventh.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)