A-Rod on coming off the bench: “I’ll be ready”

Oct 12, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez

We heard the news about Alex Rodriguez being benched for Game 5, and the reaction from the manager, now here it is straight from the man himself:

“Obviously I’m not happy and disappointed. You want to be in there in the worst way, but as I keep telling you guys, this isn’t a story about one person. This is about a team, and we have some unfinished business today. Our objective is to win one game tonight and keep this thing moving.”

When if he’s OK coming off the bench — and Joe Girardi said he would pinch hit Rodriguez if and a lefty comes in — he said:

“Without question. I do know in 27 outs, a lot can happen. I’ll be ready.”

He also added that he has no problem with Joe Girardi, saying “It’s never about Joe. I always have to look in the mirror and do what I can do to do the best I can.”

Well, at least he has experience with that.

Seriously, though: those are all the right answers. If anyone is looking to make a bigger deal out of this than “struggling player sits in favor of player with better chance to help team win in a single game,” they’re just looking for stuff that isn’t there.  To the extent this becomes a bigger drama, it’ll happen in the offseason in the event that the Yankees think about fundamentally changing A-Rod’s role with the team.

1. darthicarus - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Hopefully he took notes from Our Lord & Protector Derek Jeter & won’t be using the little boy’s room when the team needs him to step up & strikeout.

• Old Gator - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM

It sounds more like he took notes from Crash Davis and understands that the cliches are his friends.

• pjmarn6 - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM

For a guaranteed $30,000,000 a year and bonuses for getting in post season games, I would sit on the bench too. I want to know the name of the idiot who guaranteed him $30,000,000 a year for 5 more years when he will be 42 and needs a cane to get to the plate.

2. 18thstreet - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I want to make a bigger deal out of this. So help me, I never want this story to end.

• kitshky - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

That was actually the best laugh I’ve had all day … I really hope that ‘s what you were going for.

3. jxegh - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM

You think he’ll be saying that next year when he’s benched during the regular season?

4. Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM

So…he wasn’t ready when he was starting—even when all he had to do was sit on his butt in between at bats—but he will be if he doesn’t know when it’ll happen? Ohhkaayy…

5. bloodysock - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I thought he looked in the mirror and saw a centaur.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM

This is getting ridiculous.

7. thebadguyswon - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Future Hall of Famer on the pine. Makes sense.

8. mackie66 - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

If anyone can make this story a bigger drama its “hardball talk”. You guys wouldn’t know a “team” player if he stole home and bit u guys in the azz.

9. ebrownwareagle - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I’m a betting man and for my money (which I could be wrong), I say if you bench A-Rod, with a hurt Jeter. They will lose.

10. jehzsa - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Good to know that he’s not disappointed. Which makes a lot of sense if he wants “to be in there in the worst way”.

I think he can manage that.

11. vicksprman - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Wow I guess Granderson gets a pass who has looked equally bad. I guess money does matter.

12. thebigtim2012 - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

@thebadgyswon

If a man like a rod who has been caught cheating multiple times on the field as well as his blatant steroid use makes it to Cooperstown baseball would lose what little credibility it has left

Ace-killer Giants do it again