Oct 12, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez was removed for a pinch-hitter for the second straight game Thursday and rightfully so. Yet A-Rod hasn’t been the Yankees’ worst performer through four postseason games. That title goes to Curtis Granderson.
Granderson went 0-for-5 with three more strikeouts in Thursday’s loss to the Orioles. He’s 1-for-16 with nine strikeouts in the series, with his lone hit being a single. A-Rod is 2-for-16 after collecting himself a single tonight, giving him merely the third worst average in the lineup. Robinson Cano is just 2-for-18, though he at least has three RBI to his credit. Both of his hits have been doubles.
For all of his homers — and he hit 43 of them — Granderson wasn’t a particularly good hitter for the Yankees this year after his hot start. He came in at .196 in August and .178 in September before padding his numbers a bit in the three-game sweep of the Red Sox to close the season (he went 6-for-13 with three homers). If not for that series, his 40-homer season could have been considered the worst ever.
If there was ever a time for Granderson to bust out again, it’d be Friday’s Game 5. He hits quite a bit better at home, and he’ll be facing a right-hander in Jason Hammel. Any time he hits a fly to right in Yankee Stadium, it’s a threat to leave the yard.
But to do that, he’s going to have to make some contact. With those nine strikeouts in 16 plate appearances, even Mark Reynolds is feeling bad for him right now.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)