Oct 12, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: X-rays came back negative, so Affeldt is hoping to be available for Game 1 of the NLCS.
For the third time in the past 18 months Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt has suffered a weird injury.
Back in late 2011 he sliced his right hand while separating hamburger patties for a barbeque and needed surgery to repair nerve damage. Then in May he sprained his knee when his young son jumped off the couch and into his arms.
And now? Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News has the details:
Affeldt pitched a shutout seventh inning and was supposed to face Jay Bruce in the eighth, but Affeldt had to be removed after a screamer off of Gregor Blanco’s bat sent him scrambling. Affeldt was standing on the top step of the dugout and ducked out of the way, only to fall down the steps and jam his left hand as he braced himself for the fall.
He had to be removed from the game and was later spotted in the dugout with his arm in a sling, but Affeldt insisted after the game that he’s fine and will be available to pitch in the NLCS. “I’m just wearing it in case one of these knuckleheads tries to hit me with a champagne bottle,” Affeldt told Pavlovic.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)