Braves extend the contract of GM Frank Wren

Oct 12, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT

Frank Wren

The Braves have just announced that they agreed to a contract extension through 2014 with general manager Frank Wren.

Not surprising. And, even though I snark at him sometimes, not a bad move. Wren doesn’t always hit, but he’s hit more than he’s missed lately, and the player development machine — pitchers mostly, but some good position players like Jason Heyward, Freddie Freemen and Andrelton Simmons — he has kept operation in good order. His non-move on the Ryan Dempster deal was a good one. He hasn’t done harm, and that’s probably the most important thing.

And really, given that the fundamental dynamic of running the Atlanta Braves involves dealing with the iron-clad budget given to the team by their corporate overlords at Liberty Media, keeping a guy who is used to that is probably a good move.

Wren’s biggest immediate challenge: filling holes at third base — and the middle of the lineup, really — with the retirement of Chipper Jones and center field with the presumed departure of free agent Michael Bourn.  He now has a couple years more breathing room in which to do it.

1. chc4 - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Someone is gonna seriously overpay for Bourn. Guy has worn down the last 2 years. And my god he strikes out alot for a leadoff guy.

2. frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I get a little agitated at some of the Braves moves too – but I think Wren does a great job with what he is given.

The reality is that the Braves has the worst long term TV deal in MLB and the parent company is cheap and not interested in increasing the budget. The moves that he has made have kept the Braves in contention and given us a good base of players going forward.

Are we going to sign a top tier free agent? Probably not. But is that always a bad thing? Probably not. But with Chippper’s and Lowe’s (puke) money coming off the books this year, I bet he goes and gets some solid players under the radar and makes an already good team better. Yeah we lost in the playoffs again and it hurts – but that’s not on Wren.

Snark or not, I think he one one of the top 10 GMs in baseball right now.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM

*have. Someday we are going to get an edit function…

3. hushbrother - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I assume it’s been established that Heyward can’t play center. If he could, that would seem to be a logical move.

• mrwillie - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Correct, Heyward will not be making the move to center. A spot start or two through the season yes, but full time no.

4. pdowdy83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I’m sensing a possible Angel Pagan pursuit over the offseason to go along with them trading for a player like Chris Young from the Diamondbacks. Placing Pagan in LF, where he is a better defender, with Young in CF puts the outfield defense at an above average place. It would also help to balance the lineup a bit with Young’s right handed bat.

Pagan – LF
    Prado – 3B
    Heyward – RF
    Freeman – 1B
    Uggla – 2B
    McCann – C
    Young – CF
    Simmons – SS

5. buffalomafia - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Why over pay a cheapskate that doesn’t want to get a good third baseman?

Hint; david wright

6. foreverchipper10 - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I think it is a no-brainer to shift Martin Prado from LF to third. Bourn is about as out of there as he can be and I think a viable replacement for him would be Shane Victorino. I don’t think the Dodgers will retain him as their outfield lays out with Carl Crawford in left, Matt Kemp in center and Andre Ethier in right. Victorino seems to be the odd man out. I think he is the perfect replacement for Bourn, offers much of the same skill set and should come at a cheaper price tag. That leaves finding a solid left fielder, which honestly the Braves haven’t had in god knows how long. With Chipper coming off the books they need to invest in a solid bat. I really wanted them to get Josh Willingham last year. With him gone I don’t quite know who they will pursue but that is why I am not the GM.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win