Oct 12, 2012, 11:18 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Nationals currently lead the Cardinals 6-4 in Game 5 as we move to the bottom of the seventh inning.
Edwin Jackson was called on to pitch the top of the seventh and quickly walked Jon Jay before giving up a double to Carlos Beltran. Matt Holliday grounded out to shortstop to bring home Jay, but that’s all they could get. Jackson followed with a strike out of Allen Craig and worked around a walk to Yadier Molina before getting David Freese to strike out swinging.
The Cardinals have had their fair share of chances tonight, but they only have six outs left to work with.
10:33 PM: The Cardinals tacked on two more runs in the top of the fifth inning to bring the score to 6-3.
Gio Gonzalez completely unraveled in the fifth by giving up two hits and issuing three walks, including one to force in a run. He also threw a wild pitch to allow a run to score. The Cardinals had the chance for more, but Gonzalez got Yadier Molina to fly to to right field to leave the bases loaded.
10:08 PM: The Cardinals still have quite a hole to dig out of, but they have begun the process of chipping away at the Nationals’ lead.
Carlos Beltran led off the top of the fourth inning with a walk and was quickly brought home on a double down the left field line by Matt Holliday. The Cardinals had the chance for a much bigger inning, but Gio Gonzalez got Allen Craig to ground out to shortstop and Yadier Molina to fly out to right field before striking out David Freese to end the inning. Holliday was left stranded at third base.
The Nationals currently hold a 6-1 lead in the middle of the fourth inning.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)