Oct 12, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
When the Diamondbacks signed Jason Kubel to a two-year, $16 million contract last offseason there were lots of questions about how he fit in an outfield that already had Chris Young, Justin Upton and Gerardo Parra.
It turned out that Parra was mostly the odd man out, starting a total of just 90 games one year after hitting .292 and winning a Gold Glove award. And now, not surprisingly, general manager Kevin Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that the Diamondbacks are thinking about trading either Kubel or Parra.
It’ll likely come down to whether Towers value Parra’s defense or Kubel’s power, although the decision may ultimately hinge on which player could bring back more in a trade as the Diamondbacks look for infield help. Piecoro notes that trading Young is also an option because of Parra’s ability to play center field if needed and prospect Adam Eaton‘s long-term presence.
Whatever the case, don’t expect another outfield logjam in Arizona next season.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 161
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)