Oct 12, 2012, 8:41 PM EST
The Yankees decided it wasn’t in their best interests to play Alex Rodriguez against Jason Hammel in Friday’s Game 5. So why on earth would he start against any of the right-handers the Tigers will throw in the ALCS?
Here’s how he’s performed against Detroit’s rotation:
Rodriguez sat today even though he was 8-for-22 with four homers against Hammel. It was a more favorable matchup than any of the four that are coming up for him. The interesting thing is that Rodriguez has excelled against Verlander, particularly this year. He was 4-for-6 with two homers in two games against the Tigers ace in 2012. Still, it’s hard to see the A-Rod of the last few days getting around on Verlander’s heat.
All that said, he’s still Alex Rodriguez, the active major league leader in homers and RBI. I’d actually be in favor of playing him against Fister in Game 1. If he has some good at-bats, stick with him. If he doesn’t, pack him in mothballs. It’s not fair that the rest of A-Rod’s postseason should come down to his performance in one game, but this isn’t about being fair; it’s about winning.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)