Oct 12, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants reinstated Melky Cabrera to their 40-man roster today. However, this isn’t as exciting as it sounds. The Giants still have no plans to carry him on their roster at any point during the postseason.
Cabrera completed his 50-game PED suspension, so the Giants were basically required to decide whether to reinstate him to the 40-man roster or release him. Keeping him around affords them the chance to have an exclusive window to negotiate before he reaches free agency this winter. While it appeared to be an unlikely scenario given how things played out in the aftermath of his suspension, Baggarly hears that there is now “more openness within the Giants organization” to bring him back.
The Giants relied on a combination of Gregor Blanco and Xavier Nady in left field during the NLDS against the Reds. Blanco went 4-for-14 (.286) with one home run, one double and two RBI while Nady was hitless in five at-bats.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)