Oct 12, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants reinstated Melky Cabrera to their 40-man roster today. However, this isn’t as exciting as it sounds. The Giants still have no plans to carry him on their roster at any point during the postseason.
Cabrera completed his 50-game PED suspension, so the Giants were basically required to decide whether to reinstate him to the 40-man roster or release him. Keeping him around affords them the chance to have an exclusive window to negotiate before he reaches free agency this winter. While it appeared to be an unlikely scenario given how things played out in the aftermath of his suspension, Baggarly hears that there is now “more openness within the Giants organization” to bring him back.
The Giants relied on a combination of Gregor Blanco and Xavier Nady in left field during the NLDS against the Reds. Blanco went 4-for-14 (.286) with one home run, one double and two RBI while Nady was hitless in five at-bats.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)