Oct 12, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants reinstated Melky Cabrera to their 40-man roster today. However, this isn’t as exciting as it sounds. The Giants still have no plans to carry him on their roster at any point during the postseason.
Cabrera completed his 50-game PED suspension, so the Giants were basically required to decide whether to reinstate him to the 40-man roster or release him. Keeping him around affords them the chance to have an exclusive window to negotiate before he reaches free agency this winter. While it appeared to be an unlikely scenario given how things played out in the aftermath of his suspension, Baggarly hears that there is now “more openness within the Giants organization” to bring him back.
The Giants relied on a combination of Gregor Blanco and Xavier Nady in left field during the NLDS against the Reds. Blanco went 4-for-14 (.286) with one home run, one double and two RBI while Nady was hitless in five at-bats.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)