Oct 12, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants reinstated Melky Cabrera to their 40-man roster today. However, this isn’t as exciting as it sounds. The Giants still have no plans to carry him on their roster at any point during the postseason.
Cabrera completed his 50-game PED suspension, so the Giants were basically required to decide whether to reinstate him to the 40-man roster or release him. Keeping him around affords them the chance to have an exclusive window to negotiate before he reaches free agency this winter. While it appeared to be an unlikely scenario given how things played out in the aftermath of his suspension, Baggarly hears that there is now “more openness within the Giants organization” to bring him back.
The Giants relied on a combination of Gregor Blanco and Xavier Nady in left field during the NLDS against the Reds. Blanco went 4-for-14 (.286) with one home run, one double and two RBI while Nady was hitless in five at-bats.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)