Oct 12, 2012, 8:52 PM EST
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants reinstated Melky Cabrera to their 40-man roster today. However, this isn’t as exciting as it sounds. The Giants still have no plans to carry him on their roster at any point during the postseason.
Cabrera completed his 50-game PED suspension, so the Giants were basically required to decide whether to reinstate him to the 40-man roster or release him. Keeping him around affords them the chance to have an exclusive window to negotiate before he reaches free agency this winter. While it appeared to be an unlikely scenario given how things played out in the aftermath of his suspension, Baggarly hears that there is now “more openness within the Giants organization” to bring him back.
The Giants relied on a combination of Gregor Blanco and Xavier Nady in left field during the NLDS against the Reds. Blanco went 4-for-14 (.286) with one home run, one double and two RBI while Nady was hitless in five at-bats.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 17
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 110
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (111)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)