John Farrell on Red Sox’s reported interest: “I’m the manager of the Blue Jays”

Oct 12, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT

John Farrell; Marvin Hudson AP

During an MLB Network Radio interview today Blue Jays manager John Farrell was asked about reports that the Red Sox are interested in hiring him away from Toronto to replace Bobby Valentine as their manager.

Here’s his reply, via Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe:

I am the manager of the Toronto Blue Jays. That’s where I’ve been the last two years and that’s where I currently am. This speculation started to rear its head again probably the final two months of the season. I can tell you this: In my conversations with [Blue Jays general manager] Alex [Anthopoulos], it hasn’t distracted me from my job and what the commitment there is.

I’m extremely challenged, happy as the manager of the Blue Jays. But its obvious that there’s a vacancy to fill there and they’re going about their interview process as it is. Nothing has been communicated directly to me. If the Red Sox have contracted Alex, I’m unaware of that. Where it stands is what I said: [I'm] manager of the Blue Jays.

Not exactly an “I’m not interested in the Red Sox job” or even a “there’s nothing to those reports.” Farrell’s comments seem to say quite a lot without saying much of anything.

1. El Bravo - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM

“Farrell’s comments seem to say quite a lot without saying much of anything.”…which makes this post say what exactly? Sorry, but that was too easy. Baseball can’t be played soon enough today it seems.

• vallewho - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Just like a lot of the stories/articles around here.

2. cur68 - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Uh huh. Translation: “I gotta job. Its an interesting job. There’s another job. No one’s spoken to me about that job.” Not bad Farrell. Not bad. You should call Valentine and explain to him how this is done. Because if BV was the Beaver Men Boss and there was this opening because Farrell had bombed in Bean Town, the answer would have gone like this…

MLB Network Radio interview Guy: “Heard about the job in Boston, Bob?”

BV: “Well, my players here in TO, they don’t have their heads in the game. Bautista? On vacation. Basically my coaches undermined me here. And these guys are injury prone. I could see myself as the Red Sox Manager, sure.”

3. craigmaitland - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

As a Jays fan. Please take him. Now. The jays are a cluster of poor management.

4. mdpickles - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM

That is an epic pic of Farrell.

5. giantssb42champs - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Forget Farrell. Timmy Booger as next bosox mgr!

• proudlycanadian - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Every team needs a Booger.

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

If the Red Sox have contracted Alex then would the cure be for Farrell to go manage the Sox?

• deathmonkey41 - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM

John Lackey is the cure for everything.

7. xpensivewinos - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM

The Red Sox need to move on. Farrell is yet another link to Boston’s recent past. They need to move on from Farrell, bring in some new blood and blow out their entire coaching staff. The “Ghosts of Tito” are not helping the Red Sox move on.

Time to start fresh.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

One other comment. Farrel liked and respected Tito. He was very upset at the way the latter was treated by the Red Sox.

8. proudlycanadian - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Farrell has been consistent in his public statements as has AA. All the leaks about Boson’s interest in Farrell have come from Boston which happens to be the home of a baseball team that leaks like a sieve. Now that Boston has begun to interview candidates to replace Bobby V, it is obvious that the Jays told the Red Sox in the nicest way possible to QFO.

9. billbaldwin4311 - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

IMHO, its not the Boston Red Sox organization that leaks like a sieve, its the Boston Sports Media that concocts more fictitious stories than Robert Ludlom, Robert B. Parker (may they rest in peace), Stuart Woods, John Sandford. Michael Connelly, James Patterson, and John Lescroat combined.
    As for Farrell’s coy remarks, what do you expect? He’s not going to burn bridges, either in Toronto or in Boston. Leave the guy alone and get on with the business at hand, replacing Verbal Vomit Valentine.

10. jaysfan64 - Oct 13, 2012 at 5:26 AM

Note Farrell did say “AA”…..he didn’t mention Paul Beeston, with whom any such discussion with Boston about Farrell would begin, not AA…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5141)