Oct 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Matthew made a good point about the Yankees linuep last night. And all things being equal, damn, I don’t know that I could go with Alex Rodriguez in Game 5. He just looks totally lost up there.
But even if Matthew is right and Joe Girardi shouldn’t go with A-Rod, I have this feeling he will. Why? Let’s ask my friend J.R. O’Grady:
ARod will be in the lineup today, Folks. He’s hitting .364 off Hammel w/ 4 HR in 22 ABs lifetime.
— J.R. O’Grady (@BronXoo) October 12, 2012
Girardi gets crap for playing it by the book — or the binder — sometimes, but it’s not some unique quirk of his to play matchups like that. Obviously the A-Rod we’re seeing now is not the same guy who beat up on Jason Hammel in the past, but those numbers make me think that Joe has the kind of cover to allow him to give his star third baseman a shot at redemption.
But really, there are no good decisions here. We can all second guess tonight’s lineup before the game and, if the Yankees lose, we will all certainly pile on Girardi. But if you think that there is one obvious correct course of action here, you’re crazy.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)