Oct 12, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
The Nationals won Game 4 of the NLDS against the Cardinals yesterday in thrilling fashion thanks to a walkoff solo home run from Jayson Werth. And Nationals Park is rocking again after one inning tonight.
Werth led off the bottom of the first inning with a double off Adam Wainwright before the scuffling Bryce Harper drove him home with a triple off the center field wall. Ryan Zimmerman then connected on a two-run homer to center field to give the Nationals a 3-0 lead. Three batters, three runs. That’s pretty darn efficient.
Wainwright responded by striking out Adam LaRoche, Michael Morse and Ian Desmond to end the inning, but he has already dug himself an early hole. Meanwhile, Gio Gonzalez has a nice cushion to work with as he heads back to the mound for the top of the second inning.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)