Oct 12, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
The Nationals won Game 4 of the NLDS against the Cardinals yesterday in thrilling fashion thanks to a walkoff solo home run from Jayson Werth. And Nationals Park is rocking again after one inning tonight.
Werth led off the bottom of the first inning with a double off Adam Wainwright before the scuffling Bryce Harper drove him home with a triple off the center field wall. Ryan Zimmerman then connected on a two-run homer to center field to give the Nationals a 3-0 lead. Three batters, three runs. That’s pretty darn efficient.
Wainwright responded by striking out Adam LaRoche, Michael Morse and Ian Desmond to end the inning, but he has already dug himself an early hole. Meanwhile, Gio Gonzalez has a nice cushion to work with as he heads back to the mound for the top of the second inning.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)