Oct 12, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
The Nationals are pouring it on against the Cardinals in Game 5 of the NLDS.
Bryce Harper led off the top of the bottom of the third inning with a solo home run. After entering tonight’s action 1-for-19 in the series, the 19-year-old phenom has a triple and a homer in his first two at-bats tonight. He’s just the second teenager to homer in a postseason game, joining Andruw Jones (1996).
But the scoring didn’t stop there. Ryan Zimmerman doubled to the right-center field gap and was brought home on a two-run homer by Michael Morse, which chased Adam Wainwright from the ballgame. After scoring nine runs over the first four games of the series, the Nationals hold a 6-0 lead through three innings tonight.
Gio Gonzalez really struggled with his control in Game 1, but he has been spotless so far tonight. It’s still early, but things are looking bleak for the defending World Series champions.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)