Oct 12, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
The Nationals are pouring it on against the Cardinals in Game 5 of the NLDS.
Bryce Harper led off the top of the bottom of the third inning with a solo home run. After entering tonight’s action 1-for-19 in the series, the 19-year-old phenom has a triple and a homer in his first two at-bats tonight. He’s just the second teenager to homer in a postseason game, joining Andruw Jones (1996).
But the scoring didn’t stop there. Ryan Zimmerman doubled to the right-center field gap and was brought home on a two-run homer by Michael Morse, which chased Adam Wainwright from the ballgame. After scoring nine runs over the first four games of the series, the Nationals hold a 6-0 lead through three innings tonight.
Gio Gonzalez really struggled with his control in Game 1, but he has been spotless so far tonight. It’s still early, but things are looking bleak for the defending World Series champions.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)