Oct 12, 2012, 9:49 PM EST
The Nationals are pouring it on against the Cardinals in Game 5 of the NLDS.
Bryce Harper led off the top of the bottom of the third inning with a solo home run. After entering tonight’s action 1-for-19 in the series, the 19-year-old phenom has a triple and a homer in his first two at-bats tonight. He’s just the second teenager to homer in a postseason game, joining Andruw Jones (1996).
But the scoring didn’t stop there. Ryan Zimmerman doubled to the right-center field gap and was brought home on a two-run homer by Michael Morse, which chased Adam Wainwright from the ballgame. After scoring nine runs over the first four games of the series, the Nationals hold a 6-0 lead through three innings tonight.
Gio Gonzalez really struggled with his control in Game 1, but he has been spotless so far tonight. It’s still early, but things are looking bleak for the defending World Series champions.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)